IGNORED

Overfilling diff?

RJK

Hey folks, I am in the process of changing my gear oil at diff and trans. when I opened the diff fill plug, probably a 1/2 cup or so of fluid poured out. Either the car was tilted to fill, or a fill point was used i'm not aware of. Is there an advantage to this? or should i fill it in the standard manner, fill at fill plug til it drips, and stop?

If you got only 8 ounces of fluid from the differential, that was not overfilled. That was underfilled. Underfilling the differential can cause overheating, damaging bearings and gears.

You should use GL-5 gear oil to refill.

You did not say which differential you have, but here are the capacities from the service manual GI section. The 1.3 and 1.0 are in liters (or litres for our UK & Canadian friends).

image.png

image.png

• Agree 1

The 6-8 ounces I referred to was from the FILL plug. Not the DRAIN plug. When I opened the drain plug, in total, somewhere near 1.5-2 quarts is what the diff held. Every time I've changed diff oil, the method of filling I have read in every WSM I've seen was to fill at the fill plug til it starts to drip from it, seal it up. The previous owner of my car must have tilted the car before filling. I was asking if this was standard operation procedure on Z cars for some reason, or if this was an isolated event. Sorry, I didnt check the actual diff casting, but it's a 1972 240z, surely stock diff from my visual inspection.