IGNORED

Well that's not good...

SteveJ

I was at Road Atlanta watching the vintage racing action. After the day was done, it's time to drive home. I put the transmission in 3rd gear to go down the big hill, and it's letting out a whine that I had never heard before. As I pulled up behind other traffic, I put the car in 1st, there was a really bad noise, and the car lurched. I tried 2nd. The transmission whined a painful whine, and 3rd was about the same. 

I decided to see if I could make it closer to home to reduce the amount of time getting towed. I could get the car moving in 2nd and quickly shifted through 3rd and on to 4th. I cruised home and only had to come to a full stop a couple of times.

The 260Z will be parked for a little while. Fortunately, I have a line on a 5 speed.

It's not a great situation, but I did make it home safe. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I can guarantee going home in reverse was not an option for me. Just listen to the video. There's actually only one clunk in first. I let the car die after the clunk.

At least I have the replacement box on hand (280Z 5-speed). I'll probably start on the teardown on Saturday. I'm trying to coordinate with someone I know to make a housecall on Sunday to put the 5-speed in.