IGNORED

75 280Z - Water Ingress From Hatch / Hinge Area?

HusseinHolland

We had a deluge here last night. When I checked the car this afternoon, it was obvious water had got into the car, but I can't be sure where to look for the source. There are no stains on the inner roof trim that would indicate the passage of water, however most of the wet area was along the lip behind the seats, down into the pockets and from there out onto the floor pans. I had a box sitting on the ledge and it obviously absorbed an amount of water. This pic was after I mopped up the water by the ridge.

Any specific places I should be looking? I have a new hatch seal I will be installing anyway, but I don't see how a hatch seal would cause water to drop so far forward

PXL_20230423_202237574.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland

Can't tell what is directly above the leak areas, gravity-wise.  Were you parked nose down?  Be the water.

I found that water could get in to the window seal in one spot and travel through the gap between rubber and glass to exit somewhere else.  Happened on both the front and rear windows.

The hatch hinge area is leak prone, apparently.  Somebody just posted recently, asking how to install new rubber there.  There are seals, left and right.  30 and 31.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/body-260z-280z/2-seater/tail-gate-bumper/sep-74-to-jul-76

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses. The hinge area makes the most sense, in terms of water dropping directly from above, the car sits basically level, only a slight downhill angle of a few degrees. The undermatting in the hatch area was only damp where it touched the water in the rear pocket area, it's not wet below the hatch. I'll drop the trim panel & see if I can see what the hinge seals look like. I guess the next step would be figuring out who makes them anymore.

The hinge seals are sandwiched between the hinges and the chassis with a small metal frame as a washer. They are custom made now and can be pricey. I don't think you will be able to see anything from the interior side. Might help to have the panel out though and try to pinpoint the leak with a garden hose

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Patcon said:

The hinge seals are sandwiched between the hinges and the chassis with a small metal frame as a washer. They are custom made now and can be pricey. I don't think you will be able to see anything from the interior side. Might help to have the panel out though and try to pinpoint the leak with a garden hose

I was thinking I may have to squat inside & have my wife spray the roof (trying to simulate rain, so not a jet aimed directly into the hatch channel). I'll drop the interior trim for a better look see.

• Like 1