IGNORED

Vintage Spark Plug Wires (Sumitomo)

ea6driver

I found these spark plugs wires in a box of Z parts I've probably had stored for over 25 years...and I'm trying to decide whether to keep them, sell them, or throw them away.  They are made by Sumitiomo. Two of the spark plug boots are angled (#1 and #6). They all measure under 8K resistance (it looks like they are labeled 16K). Additionally they are labeled "1986". As you can see from the photos they are in very good overall condition. Though I can't remember, I'm thinking that I must have removed/replaced them with aftermarket wires at some point.

Can anyone tell me if these are unusual, special or rare in any way for Datsun Z cars? (mine is a 78). Was this plug wire set an original set Datsun used on Z cars from the factory?

IMG_9047.jpeg

IMG_9045.jpeg

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

• Like 1

Sumitomo sounds familiar.. the 240z has them but i think.. only with a no 6 angled sparkplug boot?  As these cables are now over 35 years old i don't think they can work very well.  After a good clean they could be used on a engine that's under someone's coffeetable just for the looks!  (It's possible that the 280z original has 2 angled sp.pl.boots.. as my 280zx has 2 two eh too twoo too.. 2 also eh sigh😁..)

My experience with old cables.. About 2 years ago i did about 1000 km on my 280zx resto and those sparkplugcables were the original 1979 cables, they worked well  (some special isolating spray over them)  but.. i'm now restoring the engineroom ( for over 2 years! sigh) and already installed some orig. nissan leads that i bought some years ago special for this restore.

I'm not sure these are sumitomo, but came out a nissan box..

IMG-20220429-WA0003.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Sumitomo sounds familiar.. the 240z has them but i think.. only with a no 6 angled sparkplug boot?  As these cables are now over 35 years old i don't think they can work very well.  After a good clean they could be used on a engine that's under someone's coffeetable just for the looks!  (It's possible that the 280z original has 2 angled sp.pl.boots.. as my 280zx has 2 two eh too twoo too.. 2 also eh sigh😁..)

My experience with old cables.. About 2 years ago i did about 1000 km on my 280zx resto and those sparkplugcables were the original 1979 cables, they worked well  (some special isolating spray over them)  but.. i'm now restoring the engineroom ( for over 2 years! sigh) and already installed some orig. nissan leads that i bought some years ago special for this restore.

I'm not sure these are sumitomo, but came out a nissan box..

IMG-20220429-WA0003.jpg

240's had Yazaki leads, at least for 1970 & 71. I'm not sure about after that. The 1970 dated leads have a straight boot on the plug end of the number 6 lead, they changed to the angled boot on number 6 for 1971. Here is a link with pics I found and posted previously.

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the comments and info on my Somitomo plug wires...I at least know now that I definitely shouldn't just throw them in the trash. I think I'll try and clean them up as best I can (probably won't get them to look as good as those in the pics above) and install them to check their functionality. Wish they were labeled "1978"!

• Like 1