IGNORED

Turbo vs Stroker? whats better?

lordbiotree

Good point. If your 240z has only 107 Hp

then 260hp from a stroker would make it very HOT!!! Thats more than doubleing the HP!!!

But..........I have a heavier 280z and 300hp (*from an L28et heavily modded $$$$)) sounds better to me than i thought; thats 180hp over stock!!!

What? Why does my engine bay have that metal plate with it saying 170HP?

No way it's only 120.9hp....

I wish I had your answer.

If I was to take a shot at it I would say maybe the tag is for HP @ the crank. I dont know.

On the other hand with the car listed as a 5 speed. The owner may have made some bad mods on the motor. I have seen it many times. Kids go running for the highperformance parts with no clue and buy what ever is on sale that day :finger: In the end they take HP away with a miss match of parts.

Another thing You are talking about a 30+year old motor.

We may never know but the #'s where there just to make a point and not to say this is all L28s.

Okay now...

Most superchargers are compatible with the L series, it just a case of how much flow, how much money, how much power and how you want it!

I personally would go the torbo route though...ever stop to think why porsches have twin turbos? Skylines? Ferrari F40? Its because they are a whole lot more flexible, powerful, more efficient, easier to get power out of, as well as being easier to modify! And since they don't live off of a belt, the suck of power is 0!

But serious, heres what you want to do if you are gonna track race your car (or even street for that matter!)...

Get yourself a nice, strong L series turbo (preferably rebuilt, shotpenned and with max(!) 8.5:1 compression), ditch the hairdryer and get yourself a T3/4 hybrid Garrett turbo (you can use HKS, Greddy, Turbonetics etc but they're all really made by Garrett anyway!)...fit on a big front mount intercooler (bout 400mm*600mm at smallest [thats 16inch*24inch]), upgrade your fuel pump to something bigger (if you buy a new pump off a mainstream big power car [re: American V8] it'll be cheaper, more plentiful and if it breaks, easy replacement!), get bigger injectors (RX7 injectors are great, don't know if they fit though....), fit a 3" exhaust, an electronic boost controller (screw type ones are ok, but electronic is by FAR AND AWAY better!), a new ecu (motec is good but $$$, microtech is cool, and Unichip make piggy back ecu's that bolt up to your old ecu and change the fuel and advance maps [re: very cool, and keep cold startup settings!])...now, get it all installed by someone who knows what they're doing, tune it, dyno it, tune it some more and when you're done fit some good tyres and make sure you're diff is strong, you should have at least 400hp!!! With room for a heap more, and you won't have much turbo lag!

Have fun!

Cheers ppl!

Thats hp figure in your engine bay is the SAE figure...basically its the power rating of the engine minus everything that sucks any power (alternator, water pump etc)...just the short block basically, and then its dynoed on the flywheel....120.9 hp is the power figure with everything attached!

Cheers ppl!

Originally posted by Leeroy

Thats hp figure in your engine bay is the SAE figure...basically its the power rating of the engine minus everything that sucks any power (alternator, water pump etc)...just the short block basically, and then its dynoed on the flywheel....120.9 hp is the power figure with everything attached!

Cheers ppl!

hang on a second, I thought gross hp was just the basic engine and SAE was the engine + exhaust + intake?

opps that's right SAE is also known as GROSS and it was superseded with NET from 1971 ish. NET is the hp rating with all engine components (except for drive line componnets) I think?

I would think only the 240's were measured in SAE where as the 260's, 280's were in NET?

If that's so then the 150hp rating is a bit higher than it would be if it was measured the same way the latter Z's were and still after all that is the fastest NA L6 Z!

The HP rating on the id plate is SAE horsepower, I cant remember how its different from BHP (brake Horsepower) but it is definately the HP rating at the flywheel, not the rear wheel HP rating.

Anyway who uses horses anymore, it's the 21st century, use Kilowatts.

Leeroy-

Thank you so much.Thats exactly what I needed to know.

Now I have a lot of research on where to buy the parts.

Any one have any websites, stores under your favorites?

Most of it I see here and there on e-may. wouldnt mind to have a web site to go to.

Starting google searches now.

Thanx for all help,

Brandon

BHP re: Same as HP. 746 watts is 1 hp, so 0.746kW is 1 hp, so all you do is divide!

The 260's actually still had the SAE rating in the engine bay, 162hp, but you also have to remember that the 260's had more emission gear attached to it, so its power is a bit less again...simple fix though, take the carbs off a 240 and slap em on the 260, or ditch the emission gear...or just get a turbo L28 with FI...best option...not my cup of Z though!

Cheers ppl, glad I could be of help!

Anyone seen the 'Bruce Almighty' film with Jim Carrey in it? He drives a 260 2+2! But it gets smashed...I'm gonna kill the guy who sold it too them, it was in good nick too!!

Still, I was watching in the cinema and I squealed when it came on...the better half shrank into her seat as everyone looked at me as my eyes glazed over and all I could see was Z!

Cheers ppl!