IGNORED

1972 240z Ahmeter / Fuel gauge replacement

jalexquijano

Still uncertain if this ahmeter is reading correctly. I know fuel does read correctly. 

Asides from this, the plastic lens is turning so i need to use some kind of glue to stick it as the factory. 

WHich is the safest method for removing the gauge without damaging any wire or leds? SHould i remove it through the glove box or through the front air conditioner panel? 

20221114_115342 (003).jpg

Remove the gauge after moving the heater control panel away from dash... the 4 heater cables has to be disconnected from the heater box before the control panel can be pull far enough. You will be able to get to the amp/fuel gauge and clock and oil/temp gauge through the opening.

Edited by yippi427

On 11/15/2022 at 9:30 PM, yippi427 said:

Remove the gauge after moving the heater control panel away from dash... the 4 heater cables has to be disconnected from the heater box before the control panel can be pull far enough. You will be able to get to the amp/fuel gauge and clock and oil/temp gauge through the opening.

Yes but what is the correct procedure to remove this gauge? i dont have any heater box. This was removed when the gen mini air conditioner kit was installed under the dash. How many cables will i need to disconnect to remove the gauge without damaging any cable or causing any shorts? 

Do you still have a heater control panel  with sliding levers like the pic? If you do not you still have to remove your present panel to get to the gauges. The amp/fuel gauge is secure with 1 screw, the gauge has 3 wire harness with plug that plug into dash harness and 2 wires with connect to the amp gauge.0

20221028_120109.jpg

20221025_162054.jpg

If you look at the pic of the back of dash posted by emccallum ..look at the amp/fuel gauge it is attach with 1 screw to a bracket. Remove the 1 screw and the gauge will be ready to come out after you unplug the 3 wire plug and 2 amp meter wires connected by nuts. Remember to disconnect your negative battery cable before working under your dash alway.

Edited by yippi427
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 2:03 AM, yippi427 said:

Do you still have a heater control panel  with sliding levers like the pic? If you do not you still have to remove your present panel to get to the gauges. The amp/fuel gauge is secure with 1 screw, the gauge has 3 wire harness with plug that plug into dash harness and 2 wires with connect to the amp gauge.0

20221028_120109.jpg

20221025_162054.jpg

How do you disconnect this upper 2 boots from the heater vent access. I have one spare out of the car and its quite a challenge to remove them. Imagine from the inside of the dash where its dark and just relying on braille system?

20221118_080425.jpg

Have you tried putting strong tape rolled outwards sticking to the ahm lens, pulling it out off the needle? I bought one that some dip $^!# tapped on the lense of the oil pressure gauge and knocked it down onto the needle causing it to be all funked up. After I got the lense off the needle it was showing good oil pressure.

27 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Have you tried putting strong tape rolled outwards sticking to the ahm lens, pulling it out off the needle? I bought one that some dip $^!# tapped on the lense of the oil pressure gauge and knocked it down onto the needle causing it to be all funked up. After I got the lense off the needle it was showing good oil pressure.

The problem is not with the fuel gauge, it is on the ampmeter. Needle is stuck at the end of the positivr side as shown in the picture. I even disconnect the battery poles twice and the needle is stuck. I banged the dash and nothing. I am removing the instrument at the shop where they fixed the short. Idiots. I guess they fried the circuit somehow.

IMG-20221118-WA0195.jpg

Get a small suction cup. Lick the inside of the cup and gently see if it adheres to the glass. Once pulled forward see if the gauge goes back to normal. In a shop you never know where there hands are going especially if you’re working under a Z dash. A finger or thumb may have pushed that glass in. My two cents…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1