IGNORED

Shift knob question

FresnoZ

I’m curious, can’t seem to find much info googling around. What shift knob did the 1977 280z 4 speed come with? Leather wrapped or plastic, believe they both had the green facing. I would love to locate the correct one.

11 hours ago, FresnoZ said:

I’m curious, can’t seem to find much info googling around. What shift knob did the 1977 280z 4 speed come with? Leather wrapped or plastic, believe they both had the green facing.

Everything I've seen says the original 77 shift knob was the green faced one in your other post. And it's a hard rubberized plastic (maybe vinyl?), not leather.

I've got one of those here and it's available. Problem is putting a price on such a thing. I've not seen one for sale in quite some time, so I'm not sure how to value it. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

Here's your pic from your wanted thread:

AF0EB989-FC4C-4F13-A64B-A63746EB3C1B.web

The original knob surface was textured to look "leather-like", but most of that texturing wore off quickly and became smooth where the knob got the most grab.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Everything I've seen says the original 77 shift knob was the green faced one in your other post. And it's a hard rubberized plastic (maybe vinyl?), not leather.

I've got one of those here and it's available. Problem is putting a price on such a thing. I've not seen one for sale in quite some time, so I'm not sure how to value it. Send me a PM if you want to talk about it.

Here's your pic from your wanted thread:

AF0EB989-FC4C-4F13-A64B-A63746EB3C1B.web

The original knob surface was textured to look "leather-like", but most of that texturing wore off quickly and became smooth where the knob got the most grab.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate your expertise 🙏

I located one on eBay, slightly worn guy is asking $40 with shipping.

Actually, those two knobs do look a little different. One seems to have the "splits between segments" at 120 degrees and the other has them at 180 degrees.

In other words, one of those knobs simulates two pieces of leather, and the other one simulates three pieces of leather. The one I'm familiar with has the splits at 120 degrees.

Here's a hoovered pic showing a couple of the different knob offerings over the years. Not my collection, but a good pic hoovered from the web some time ago:

zknobs.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

From my (limited) research, that's a good price.

Haha! I don't think I'd let mine go for that!  :ph34r:

What a nice collection, I wouldn’t let go of any of those. Really appreciate all your help 🙏

Placed the order. Hopefully it’s decent haha!

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

Well unfortunately, the knobs in that pic aren't mine. That's a pic I hoovered some time ago to show the different options.

I wish that was my collection! Sorry for the confusion, and I edited my post above to make that clear.

Not a problem at all ✌️

There were a few knobs in my z when I purchased it, always been curious if they are auto part store finds or something worth saving