IGNORED

Power antenna operation

MH77280Z

1 hour ago, MH77280Z said:

@jfa.series1 thanks for the pics they help. I have a toggle switch like the one top right in the lower radio. This connects to a 3-pin connector. My question as i mentioned above where does the wire from the OE antenna connects into. Yet to explore my under dash properly.

There should be a companion 3-pin connector (with the same 3 wire colors - Blue(L), Blue/Red(L/R), and Blue/White(L/W)) under the dash. IIRC they're in one of the two harness bundles that runs from the right front (passenger) corner area to the center and aft along the right side of the transmission tunnel (just under all that HVAC and blower stuff) to the radio and console area. Most of the wiring is for the gadgets in the console - lights, switches and such.

HAVING SAID THAT... The wiring to the radios IS THE MOST HACKED electrical wiring in an early Z car! Who knows what the P.O.s have done with that wiring...

How the original antenna works (or worked): The stock antenna was manually operated (not auto-extending when the radio was turned on, auto-retracting when the radio was turned off like later antennae). The stock antenna motor is grounded to the frame. It gets power through the switch attached to the radio and accessible through the radio faceplate. The switch isn't part of the radio itself. The switch is momentary (returns to an "off" or "closed" state when released) and controls the direction the antenna motor spins. Pressed to one side, the antenna mast goes up until your release the switch, pressed to the other side the antenna mast comes down until you release the switch. If you keep holding the switch when the mast reaches full extension or full retraction not-good things can happen - there is no shut off in either case except for your finger.

Edited by cgsheen1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

If you keep holding the switch when the mast reaches full extension or full retraction not-good things can happen - there is no shut off in either case except for your finger.

That's not what is supposed to happen... There is mechanical clutch built into the antenna mechanism that is supposed to slip at either extent of travel, If yours grinds to a complete stall at the end of either travel, then I suggest that your clutch is adjusted too tight.   :excl: