IGNORED

Power antenna operation

MH77280Z

Hi Guys,

The car i bought has some custom work done on the stereo and OEM antenna. The 3 blue wires with a switch do not work.

How does the antenna normally work on the 280z? I mean the switch has two positions and I would expect it is an UP/DOWN operation and the antenna can be stopped at any position (i mean half up vs full extended) can someone confirm?

Currently it is connected to the stereo/radio and when i turn the unit on it just fully extends automatically. May be thats why the switch does not work.

1 hour ago, MH77280Z said:

OK so seems like mine is not original as well. It is a replacement.

BTW where is the original antenna switch located where the 3 wires hook into?

I have a HItachi AM/FM unit from a 280Z and the antenna switch is located on the top right of the chassis with a toggle that protrudes thru the faceplate. Here's a pic of two radios I picked up some time ago - a 240Z AM radio on top and the 280Z AM/FM radio under it.

100_3309.JPG

Edited by jfa.series1

Referring back to the link I provided, the OE antenna had two power wires - one to raise it, one to lower it. The antenna was self-grounded to the car body via the mounting bracket. The antenna switch had three wires - one is power into the switch from the dash harness. The other two were routed back to the antenna. There are no other switches or wires in a stock set-up. The up and down action of the antenna was controlled only by the switch, independent of the radio power on or off.

The aftermarket radio you have has a blue wire on the harness that triggers the automatic antenna when you power the radio on. Chances are when you power the radio off the antenna goes down correct?

22 minutes ago, Yarb said:

The aftermarket radio you have has a blue wire on the harness that triggers the automatic antenna when you power the radio on. Chances are when you power the radio off the antenna goes down correct?

Yes

46 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Thats the way it’s designed to operate. Is your antenna aftermarket as well?

Yes, it seems to be an aftermarket antenna. I googled the original one and that has a 3 pin connector attached to it with a body mount bracket. One available on ebay for $3000 😇 (someone wants to take it with him to the grave).

My question was there has to be a 3-pin wire coming to the OEM antenna to connect to. Where in the dash that wires comes from. (i do have a 3-pin outlet where i can install a 3-pin toggle switch). Does it make sense? a picture would be useful.

3 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

I have a HItachi AM/FM unit from a 280Z and the antenna switch is located on the top right of the chassis with a toggle that protrudes thru the faceplate. Here's a pic of two radios I picked up some time ago - a 240Z AM radio on top and the 280Z AM/FM radio under it.

100_3309.JPG

@jfa.series1 thanks for the pics they help. I have a toggle switch like the one top right in the lower radio. This connects to a 3-pin connector. My question as i mentioned above where does the wire from the OE antenna connects into. Yet to explore my under dash properly.