IGNORED

Bolt holes between intake bolts: Threading?

Jeff Berk

There are a number of unused, threaded holes between the bolts that hold the intake/exhaust onto the head. I need to attach a fuel rail bracket to the engine and I wanted to use a couple of these unoccupied holes. They seem to accept an M10x1.5 bolt; however, it only goes a turn and a half in and then stops. I don't want to force it and strip the threads so can someone confirm what size these holes are tapped to? It's not a 1.25 pitch as that doesn't even begin to thread on.

The fuel injected heads have holes drilled and tapped for both carb intake manifolds and FI intake manifolds. What you're seeing there is the peeking out of one of the FI intake manifold mounting holes.

Here's a (hoovered) shot of the side of a FI head where you can see all of the holes:
P79 on F54 block.jpg

So to answer the question about what pitch to use... I believe it is M10 x 1.25. If you can't get that to thread in, maybe the threads are mess up inside the head.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1