IGNORED

I thought I was done with Z cars

emccallum

49 minutes ago, zclocks said:

The clock is very susceptible to any resistance  in any part of of the gear path.

I think you will find that the main drive gear is the problem. If the bearing is worn, as pictured in the attached diag.,  the larger gear driven by the motor is allowed to not mesh correctly  with the motor drive gear. This in turn binds the all the gears in the train and the clock stops. 

The only way to verify this is to totally dis-assemble the clock and inspect / clean all the parts. 

I was hoping you would stumble across this thread.

• 1 month later...

Made some progress. Big thanks to @Patcon for the rottisserie. Really a great way to work. 

I had trouble lining up the hood/fender. I think the strut tower was tweaked in a previous accident. My plan is to paint underside, inside, and engine bay, then put it together enough to get it checked out on a frame machine. Not ideal I know, but it's the next right thing to do. 

20230211_105605.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress putting it back together. I didn't like the way the fender and hood fit, so I decided to paint the inside and put it together enough to get it to a frame machine. Then go after the exterior bodywork. Not the ideal, but it is the next right thing to do. 

Two things I have learned over the years: You cant take too many pictures and never throw anything away! 

One other thing, aftermarket is never as good as the original. 

20230223_171631.jpg20230223_171645.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the dash on Sunday and discovered the VIN tag missing. Just Dashes must have removed it to paint the frame. I hope they still have it, but I doubt it. I found a vendor on Ebay that reproduces them, so I may have to go that route. I wrote myself a big fat note to avoid installing the windshield before the vin tag!

20230312_171609.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...