IGNORED

What Is This?

HappyZ

Does anyone know what the item on the left is?  It's some sort of toggle switch, but can't find it on the wiring diagram.  Also, the same question for the item on the right?  Any help is appreciated.

IMG_4027.jpg

Edited by HappyZ

Yes and no.. If you don't use/connect all the lamps they will flash in a faster way thats all but better to connect them all..  thats also the reason the se cars have two flasher-units.. one for hazard is around 4x 21 watt (Euro!) 4x 23 Watt (U.S.)  and 2x 7,5 watt  say: 100 Watt.  the direction flasher is for 2x21 or 23 Watt plus 1x7,5 is about 50 Watt..

So when 1 lamp is defect the lights flash faster.

18 hours ago, HappyZ said:

Thanks for the information.  I can start a new thread if needed, but do I need to have all turn signal lights connect for turn signals and/or flashers to work?

What is driving your question? There are only two exterior bulbs and the gauge bulb per side. - Correction: 2 in the back and one in the front per side plus the gauge bulb.

15 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Yes and no.. If you don't use/connect all the lamps they will flash in a faster way thats all but better to connect them all..  thats also the reason the se cars have two flasher-units.. one for hazard is around 4x 21 watt (Euro!) 4x 23 Watt (U.S.)  and 2x 7,5 watt  say: 100 Watt.  the direction flasher is for 2x21 or 23 Watt plus 1x7,5 is about 50 Watt..

So when 1 lamp is defect the lights flash faster.

That's not true for electromechanical flasher relays typically found in Z cars. The electromechanical flashers use a bi-metal strip that heats up, opening the circuit. It cools down and completes the circuit again. The rate the bi-metal strip heats up is a function of current flow. Since a bad bulb is very high resistance, there isn't as much current flow, so what would make it flash faster? LED bulbs are high resistance compared to incandescent bulbs, and if you replace all your bulbs (including gauges) to LED, you will see that an electromechanical flasher won't flash at all.

Edited by SteveJ
  • Agree 1

Are you staying with incandescent or are you switching to LEDs? 

Also I didn't mention earlier that circuit voltage can affect the flash rate with the electromechanical flashers. For modeling purposes, R is constant. R=V/I, so if voltage drops, current drops. That's why old cars with electromechanical flashers blink slowly at idle. The alternator output drops from 14.5V to 13V or 12V. That drops the current through the circuit by 10% or more.

• Like 2

I'm not planning to switch to LED at this time.  I don't have the front turn signal lens on both sides.  The PO lost them some how.  I also ordered a new flasher, so we'll see how things go when I install the front turn signals and the flasher.

11 minutes ago, HappyZ said:

I'm not planning to switch to LED at this time.  I don't have the front turn signal lens on both sides.  The PO lost them some how.  I also ordered a new flasher, so we'll see how things go when I install the front turn signals and the flasher.

@jfa.series1 Do you have any front turn signals left?