IGNORED

Draining Brake Lines for Paint

Muzez

Hi Guys,

Stripping my 280Z to send it out for paint. Last thing on my list is removing the brake lines and brake booster from the engine bay.  Two quick questions:

1. Are there any any issues with storing brake lines empty for 6-8 months?

If yes, is there a way to remove the engine bay lines and cap downstream?

If no, is the best way to drain to open a bleeder on one of the wheels and then pump the brakes till dry?

Edited by Muzez

• Muzez changed the title to Draining Brake Lines for Paint

3 hours ago, Muzez said:

Hi Guys,

Stripping my 280Z to send it out for paint. Last thing on my list is removing the brake lines and brake booster from the engine bay.  Two quick questions:

1. Are there any any issues with storing brake lines empty for 6-8 months?

If yes, is there a way to remove the engine bay lines and cap downstream?

If no, is the best way to drain to open a bleeder on one of the wheels and then pump the brakes till dry?

I would flush them with solvent, then blow dry. Then cap both ends, to keep any critters from moving in and setting up housekeeping in them.

Keep them in a cool, dry place until you are ready to reinstall them.

Then once more, flush with solvent and blow dry before reinstalling them.

• Thanks 1

Here is my 2¢. YMMV

If you are concerned about corrosion in the brake lines, run denatured alcohol through the hard lines after draining (and removal), blow out with compressed air, and spray fogging oil into them. Prior to re-installing, used the denatured alcohol and compressed air prior to re-installation. Use rubber plugs/stoppers on the master cylinder, front calipers, and wheel cylinders to prevent contamination while in storage.

As far as draining, have a quart jar or oil catch can handy. Remove the caps at the master cylinder. At the left rear, remove the hose from the hard line. Use a rubber cap when you're done if you want to prevent a mess during removal. Repeat for the right rear, right front, and left front.

• Thanks 1