IGNORED

Cleaning the engine bay (77 280z Auto)

MH77280Z

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Those are good posts.  I was going to say "every electrical connection".  Be prepared to replace the injector connectors if you haven't already.  There are much better out there, available at any wrecking yard from Chevys, Volvos, BMW,s etc.  

Thanks for the tip. Seems like something not to be rushed especially if the engine is running ok. Let me air blow it first and use dry brush to clean areas along with damp cloth like others are suggesting. I am applying new silicon to places like AFM circuit cover etc.

Just curious i have hosed and pressure washed my other more latest 2000+ model cars with no issues. Are we just more cautious with the 280z due to its age or something else?

Good advice above. Modern cars (not yours) have gaskets between electrical connectors. If you get water inside your connections like to the AFM etc you could create a short across a terminal. If the voltage is enough you could damage something like the ECU. Disconnect the battery before you do anything. You can power wash with care to avoid these connections. I power washed the heck out of my engine but it wasn’t running at the time and I let it sit in the sun and dry before connecting the battery. You can also pull connectors post wash use compressed air to blow out the water on the connections. You have to avoid the distributor for sure. Water will pool in the bottom and you won’t be able to start it. I like brake cleaner and simple green. Brake cleaner disperses water and has chlorine and evaporates quickly. I go Simple Green. Let is soak for 15 mins the lightly spray off with water. Get a bag of rags and wipe everywhere you can and follow it up with the brake cleaner. Cleaning the engine bay is a process. Get the big stuff and then over time focus one one areas and progress. Will take days or weeks to get it really clean but you need to get the caked off grime to get headed in the right direction and power washing with care in those areas (like oil pan and lower block areas) will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk