IGNORED

Panel gaps

fusion

I am preparing to paint my 1976 280z.  I am doing panel alignment and fitment while the body is still in primer so I can make adjustments if necessary.  I am looking for some panel gap numbers from people to get an idea of the ranges.  Even better if you have done your own panel fitment and adjustment.  A maximum and minimum if possible for each spot.  Looking for gap measurements on:

Fender to hood

Fender to door

Door to quarter panel

Hatch to body

Thanks in advance

I use the adjustability of the doors, fenders and hood so I get equal gaps on both sides, sort of an eyeball thing.  Start with the doors and establish a good usable gap between the trailing edge of the door and the front of the rear panel so that the door opens and closes perfectly, then the cowl but don't lock it down, keep the bolts finger tight, then the hood. Keep the hood open while you put the fenders and sugar scoops on, then very carefully start lowering the hood looking for possible contact with the fenders as you lower it. Once the cowl, fenders and hood are on you start doing minor adjustments until the gaps are as equal as possible on every side.  That's just how I do it, others start at the front and move back to the door gap.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

others start at the front and move back to the door gap.

I always start at the rear and work to the front.. as there are the most adjustable parts.. a rear part (rear wheel fender is part of the chassis) 

Then the gap is always smaller on oldtimers than on "modern" cars..   I measured gaps of/between  3-4 mm on my car, that's nice.. i think.

• 1 month later...

I put this off until now doing other things.  Would appreciate any measurements people have.  I plan to start from the back and work forward. 

Looking for gap measurements on:

Fender to hood

Fender to door

Door to quarter panel

Hatch to body

I could say about 3mm would be a nice gap?  (1/8 inch? )  For all the gaps you mention..  just know that the gap on these oldtimers are smaller than the gaps on modern cars i think?  always start with the door to quarter panel, then the fender to door and combine that with the hood to fender gap!  The hatch is simply 1 part that just fits..or not.. than you have to do some welding until it fits..

Look local at old car gaps and take some measures of it..