IGNORED

Rear hatch sheetmetal-78 280Z

One Way

There was not much left of the top layer of the rear hatch sheet metal above the tail light panel.  I have fabricated some patch panel pieces for the bottom layer which was not too badly rusted out.  The only decent section of the top layer was the actual latch area in the center.  I have seen the repair panels offered by several suppliers and it would seem to be a fairly straight forward process of fitting, clamping, and welding.  With the exception of the cosmetics of the panel, has any one fabricated the piece with just straight sheet metal and cutting out the center latch hole area using the original  latch area as the template?

I would rather spend the sheet metal money on the more visible exterior areas-bottom fender patch panels, etc.  My main concern on the rear hatch area is the correct positioning of the rubber seal around the hatch lip.  Helpful input welcome, even if that advice says spend the $150 for the repair panel.  Also suggestions about welding the new piece in versus the panel bond adhesive method?  Personally I lean toward the welding, but I am very much old school, more comfortable with what I know works through personal experience.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff, SC.

I would buy the panel if it was from one of the reputable panel makers. That panel is not flat! It curves in both directions and is very thin. The seamed edge is also curved, which make it hard to reproduce.

It is one of the few areas on the car where I think panel bond would be a great idea. If you're a very accomplished welder, you might be able to stitch in that patch without ruining the hatch, but why risk it?

Thanks for the quick response.  TABCO PRODUCTS has the best price I have located.  The little bit of searching I have done finds that they may be the one company doing the stampings for some of the better known Z supply parts houses.  Does the panel bond need to be applied to bare metal only or would it work on metal that has been primed or painted?  I have been using SEYMOUR self etch weld through primer on all of my patch repair pieces which seems to work very well on the welds.  Just seems to be a good idea to have some protection on the metal repair pieces before joining together. Thanks again for the input.  Looking forward to any other recommendations from  the great group of Z experts here.  John-Lugoff, SC

I repaired my 280Z hatch last year, but I don't think I knew the Tabco panel was available.  If so, I would have used it.  I fabricated several patches out of very thin sheet metal and tried to handle the compound curves by using multiple sections.  I welded on the lowest voltage available and backed up every weld using copper bar for heat sink and to avoid burn-through.

The copper heat sink bar is an absolute must have tool for sheet metal work.  I recently purchased the magnetic adjustable copper heat sink bar from TP TOOLS and it is well worth it.  My best success with the sheet metal welding has been to punch or drill holes into one of the patch pieces and just weld it closed with the heat sink behind the other patch.  If you are a real good welder there is just a little bit of grinding needed to smooth everything out.  I seem to have to do quite a bit of grinding, so that kind of rates my MIG welding capabilities, especially with my flux core welder I currently have.  I just finished up the LR lower level hatch panel repair and it came out pretty good and very solid.  I will have a good base to attach the new panel to.  Just have to flip my template over, cut another piece of 22 GA sheet metal, and repeat the procedure for the RR hatch panel corner.  I never realized how much of a contour that rear hatch has and apparently the hatch panel repair piece is also contoured, although the photos do not appear to have much of a contour.  Just have to convince my good looking financial advisor to purchase that new panel. Thanks for the valuable input, John-Lugoff, SC

Thanks for the tip for KFVINTAGEJDM.  Looks like top quality products with the protective coating.  The hatch panel is listed only under the 240Z catalog but all of the other suppliers list the same repair panel for 240-260-280.  Am I safe to assume that repair panel will fit my 280Z?  I may start tackling the RR hatch corner repair before going to work today.  Thanks again, John-Lugoff,SC