IGNORED

Turn Signal Fix: Quick and Dirty

Tweeds

Turn signals not working... classic. A widely discussed topic - a whole lot of great information out there surrounding it. All the solutions I've seen require taking apart the Turn Signal Switch. While this is a very professional and thorough way to go about things, it leaves room for breaking stuff, losing little pieces and so forth. That's more of a headache than I was willing to risk. So, let it be said that while my quick fix may not be the most permanent solution, it could be good enough for you.

A few disclaimers: I did this on a late '71 240. From my understanding, the turn signals run through the Hazard Switch, so it's possible one's issue is with the Hazard Switch, not the Turn Signal Switch. If, like me, your hazards work fine, but any of your turn signals don't, then we're in it together. It is possible that your problem cannot be fixed by my method - maybe your contacts are bent rather than dirty. Most importantly - I am no expert when it comes to wiring, electricity and all that, but that's precisely how I got where I did... I am, however, certain one of the more educated in this forum (of which there are many) could elucidate anything I left unclear.

What You Need:

Brake Cleaner or Electrical/Contact Cleaner

A Wire Brush

Oil (I used 3 in 1 but others use Grade 20 oil)

A Screwdriver

A Bowl

Take out your turn signal and move to a bench for cleaning. Keep an eye out for anything falling out that shouldn't during removal. Get over a bowl and spray the whole assembly down with your cleaner. Do this two or three times to get all the easy dirt and grime off. The bowl will both keep your work area clean and catch any little bits and pieces that could unfortunately fall out during the process. Once you've gotten all you can off just by spraying, take your wire brush and scrape off any remaining dirt. Be as careful as you can. Pay close attention to the moving and sliding parts. If it looks dirty, it probably is. Spray and scrape until you feel satisfied. Very scientific. Now, unscrew the two screws holding the blinker switch housing to the rest of the assembly. Inside are the contacts for your turn signals - the point of failure and the thing we're really here to fix. With the the blinker switch free, spray into the internal part of the switch. Don't go full blast when spraying as the cleaners can have a lot of force behind their spray and you don't want to disrupt any of the more delicate parts held within. Rock the sliding bit back and forth several times in an effort to more effectively clean the inside. Do this several times - spraying and sliding back and forth. Now, take your oil and drip it into the housing from the same entry point used to spray in the cleaner. Once again, slide back and forth to work the oil in. Ideally, you should be able to slide all the way up and down smoothly and easily. If not, spray it down, oil it, and slide it around again as many times as you have to 'til it all seems to work smoothly. Once you're satisfied, screw the contact housing back in and clean up any oil that got out of the housing. There'll probably be a good bit of it - it's quick and dirty after all! Take your oil and lubricate the other parts of the mechanism circled in the third picture, once again working them in. Take the time to check your connectors and headlight ground to see if they're clean. Clean them as needed. Move the turn signal one last time, see if it feels good. If it does, put everything back on the car and give it a test! My turn signals worked like new!

TSS 1.jpgTSS 3.pngTSS 4.jpg

Here are a few more technical resources I used in developing my idea and I recommend you watch/read them before doing anything. They'll at least help acquaint you with precisely what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnIxzrJoEA&list=LL&index=5&ab_channel=DatsunDave07 There's another part to this video and other more detailed videos on his channel.

https://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/blinker-detail/