IGNORED

Frame Rail dismemberment 73 240z

DC871F

Anyone like to discuss disassembly technique where the frame rails and lower radiator supports are welded together?

It looks like a necessity to dissemble the lower radiator support at the very least to get new frame rail up in there. Lucky for me I need to replace the inboard (rear) lower radiator support piece that has the lightning holes in it anyways.

Thanks gang.

IMG_20211024_161228666_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211024_161237363.jpg

IMG_20211024_161248910.jpg

Edited by DC871F

• DC871F changed the title to Frame Rail dismemberment 73 240z

I would think its like the other panels of the car, a couple of spot weld removers and a spot weld chisel (I like Lisle 51900) to start the party.

I've been watching this guy remake a lot of panels by hand. It looks like he repairs the front cross member before moving onto the frame rails.

Cross Member removal:

Frame rail replacement:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Lightning holes? must have been a big thunder also? :ph34r:

Cant stand cell phones typing. Convenient but maddening. I read a study that suggest that if you show a common word that starts and ends with the correct letters but the middle of the word is all askew, the mind will still see it as correct or something like that. Auto correct wasn't feeling me out right.

I agree with heyitsrama, spot weld cutter(s) and a spot weld chisel or panel knife.  I had to remove the entire radiator core support from my '72 when I crashed it back in 2010.  Took a while and a lot of swearing, but it came out.  I also had to remove the right front frame rail as that was bent too.

50 minutes ago, Seppi72 said:

I agree with heyitsrama, spot weld cutter(s) and a spot weld chisel or panel knife.  I had to remove the entire radiator core support from my '72 when I crashed it back in 2010.  Took a while and a lot of swearing, but it came out.  I also had to remove the right front frame rail as that was bent too.

They must have put a new guy on mine at the factory, the spot welds and MIG welds are pretty bad, and thats coming from someone like me who is leaning how to weld as I go.

Did you add supports anywhere when you removed the rails and radiator support? 

CD871F:

I got both L and R frame rails and the radiator core support from a rear-end-totaled junkyard car and, after checking them out and cleaning them up, had a professional body guy weld them back into the car.  He had to fiddle with the inner fender too as it had gotten stretched in the crash.

I am a neophyte welder like you and would never attempt such an intricate and exacting procedure while learning.