IGNORED

Prothane or Hyperflex

Seppi72

Every time someone starts a topic on modifying their suspension, there always seems to be a difference of opinion regarding whether they should use polyurethane or rubber bushings.  I don't want that discussion here.  My interest is whether anyone knows of the technical differences between Prothane and Hyperflex bushings.  Prothane is manufactured by Dee Engineering of Ontario, CA and Hyperflex by Energy Suspension of San Clemente, CA.

I'll mention that I'm a retired research chemist who worked with polyurethane materials for a good portion of my career.  I know the materials that can be used to make these items -- and there are many -- and how each one affects the final product's mechanical and aging properties.  The primary properties affecting bushing performance include durometer as well as modulus and hysteresis.

What prompts me to ask the question, however, is that, no matter where I look, Prothane parts are predominantly, but not always, a little bit less expensive than the same Hyperflex parts.  I wonder if this is just marketing or whether it has something to do with the materials of construction.

I know I can ask the two manufacturers such questions directly but I would never expect them to give me detailed, factual answers.  So I turn to you, my fellow Z-heads.

• Does anyone have knowledge about material differences between the two product lines?

I suspect the specifications you seek would only be available through two sources...

1) The manufacturer(s). And I agree that it would be unlikely they would be willing to share that level of detail. and...

2) Someone who has purchased both and had them analyzed to determine the detailed specs.

Maybe you'll find someone who has already done that analysis and is willing to share, but I think it's a long shot. Good luck with the venture.   :beer:

Have you considered using rubber bushings instead?   :ph34r:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I don't mind the harsher ride of urethane so rubber wasn't on my agenda.  If I had a LOT more disposable income, I'd consider kitting out my car so I could actually quantify the difference between rubber and urethane and find the major contributors.  Another $10,000 would do.  Maybe a GoFundMe campaign?

And now that I no longer have access to the wonderful analytical instrumentation that made my career so much fun (sold state NMR, reflectance IR, thermal analysis, mechanical analysis, etc.) I finally have a topic that actually interests me personally.  Arrgh.

Haha!! Life's funny that way, huh?

So durometer would probably be relatively easy. Especially if you're really only interested in the relative difference between the two. But other than that...

Maybe you could go back to the office for a visit, and while you're there... Take a spin around the test lab one last time?    :geek:

• Like 2

Energy Suspension calls their Hyperflex bushings polyurethane. That tells me that Hyperflex is a brand name for polyurethane bushings.

So it would appear they are one and the same as other polyurethane bushings, simply given a name to distinguish them from the everyday polyurethane equivalent.

Does anyone out there have a new set of rubber bushings that are off the car or easily accessible?  If so, I'd like to loan you my durometer so you can determine those initial values.  It's simple to use.  Just press against an included reference material (or two) and then press against a flat or reasonably flat surface of the part and see what the number is.  Readings will likely be in the 70-90 range at "room" temperature.

durometer.jpg

• 10 months later...