IGNORED

Spindle puller tool needed

AZDatsun

28 minutes ago, AZDatsun said:

I already pulled one pin came out like butter! Thanks Jeff, tomorrow the other one will be coming out

Awesome!  Glad somebody else got use out of my puller.  Did the extracted spindle pin unthread from the threaded rod okay?  My plan is to machine two flats on the back end of the threaded rod to aid in unthreading the two.  I then need to machine a puller plug for extracting the bushing.  The radius of the socket doesn't work as well as a sharper edge would and the plug will have the right step so the inner and outer bushing sleeves are pushed with the same force.  Let me know how the bushings come out.

Edited by Jeff G 78

When I made mine (no longer own), I had machined a pair of flats and they came in handy. Taking bits of various designs, I had used acme all thread and thrust bearings instead of NC thread and a used throw-out bearing. One last thing, I drilled and tapped both ends of the all thread so if one end became damaged, I could use the other end. 

This is one of those tools that hopefully you only need once. It would be great if one could just borrow the tool from a tool library.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Berk said:

When I made mine (no longer own), I had machined a pair of flats and they came in handy. Taking bits of various designs, I had used acme all thread and thrust bearings instead of NC thread and a used throw-out bearing. One last thing, I drilled and tapped both ends of the all thread so if one end became damaged, I could use the other end. 

This is one of those tools that hopefully you only need once. It would be great if one could just borrow the tool from a tool library.

Mine is similar.  I used a 1" acme rod and a front strut top bearing for the thrust.  Both ends are tapped, but one isn't tapped quite right, so I need to cut the rod a bit shorter and re-drill and tap that end.  I kept both the rod and the tube longer than needed so they could be cut down if the threads get damaged,