IGNORED

Getting the 73 Back on the Road

SteveJ

7 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I could see a long gap between the window frame and the door seal on the driver's side.

Can you snap a pic of this? I didn't get into details before, but I think I've got the same issue and I believe that's where the majority of my wind noise comes from.

If it weren't for the fact that the window fits fine, I would have guessed that my stainless frame was bent out of shape. But if that were the case, the window would bind or something (and mine doesn't).

6 hours ago, captken said:

Great write up on the bulbs. By the way, how many bulbs does it take to change all the bulbs in the gauges? Thanks, KL

For the 73, there are 10 green BA9S, 1 red BA9S, 1 blue BA9S, and 1 green 194. There are also 1 red BA7 for the seat belt warning light and 1 amber BA7 for the choke warning light.

Earlier 240Zs only need 9 green BA9S and don't need the 194. I also believe the BA7s are only in the 72 & 73. 

I forgot the count for the 280Z and 260Z.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've spent WAY too much time on Amazon studying generic door seals for the 240Z. I even tried some with mixed results.

The first one I tried had a "bulb" of 3/8 of an inch (9.5mm). It left gaps, allowing wind noise. I took a chance and went big on the next try with a 0.7 inch bulb (17.8mm). The door would not close properly. Okay, so I figured the "mama bear" size would be about 0.5 inch (12.7mm). I got it today and installed it. It had a nice snug fit around the doorway. The door takes a fair amount of effort to close, but it will close completely. There are no gaps that I can find around the door, either. 

Here's a link to this door seal on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097MPM512

Now to get more for the passenger side.

By the way, you'll need about 11 feet of material to go all of the way around the door.

• Like 4

I received the other "mama bear" door seal today and got it installed on the passenger side. It's a little different from the driver's side, but you'd have to look close to notice. Here's a link to it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NELWRJ4

Now I have to drive the car to see if it is better than the Kia Sportage seals on the 260Z. (I think it is.)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, SteveJ said:

I received the other "mama bear" door seal today and got it installed on the passenger side. It's a little different from the driver's side, but you'd have to look close to notice. Here's a link to it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NELWRJ4

Now I have to drive the car to see if it is better than the Kia Sportage seals on the 260Z. (I think it is.)

Awesome work! Did you buy two different "mama bear" door seals originally to compare and end up running both? Just curious which of the two you prefer (if it matters).

4 hours ago, Barefootdan said:

Awesome work! Did you buy two different "mama bear" door seals originally to compare and end up running both? Just curious which of the two you prefer (if it matters).

Yes, I tried two different "mama bear" door seals. That was due to the delivery times. They both pretty much seem the same to me. I don't have a preference between the two, but I haven't taken the car out, yet, to see how well they sealed. At least I'm not seeing gaps like with the 3/8" bulbs. The second link has choices for 30 or 40 feet. That can be handy. You just have to be patient for delivery.

1 minute ago, SteveJ said:

Yes, I tried two different "mama bear" door seals. That was due to the delivery times. They both pretty much seem the same to me. I don't have a preference between the two, but I haven't taken the car out, yet, to see how well they sealed. At least I'm not seeing gaps like with the 3/8" bulbs. The second link has choices for 30 or 40 feet. That can be handy. You just have to be patient for delivery.

Thank you for confirming. The 11 feet needed makes it such an odd length for the 10ft and 20ft selections, hah!

• 3 weeks later...

Oops!

The car has demonstrated a desire to pull to the left at freeway speeds. It isn't too bad, but it's noticeable. I put an IR thermometer in the car so I could check the brakes after a drive. Sure enough, the left brake was about 30 degrees or so warmer than the right. 

I bought some rebuilt calipers, rotors and pads. They arrived, and I set about changing the brakes today. No problems on the left with disassembly, though I realized I should have purchased new slider pins. At least I had plenty of cotter pins handy. I got new rotor mounted and went to put on the caliper...but it wouldn't go over the mounting holes on the spindle. I called up a friend who suggested they might be 280Z rotors (FYI: 260Z rotors are the same as 280Z). No, it couldn't be that. I knew I selected 240Z parts when I was on Rockauto. Measurements don't lie. The hats on the old rotors were definitely taller. (And there was enough of a groove toward the edge that I wasn't going to try turning them.) I double checked the part on Rockauto, and I picked up on the key detail I missed before. It said the rotors were for AFTER 8/73. In other words, they had 260Z rotors under the 240Z listing. D'oh!

Anyway, I found the correct rotors at Summit Racing. They also have them at the Georgia location, so they should get here in a couple of days. I also ordered some new bolts and other brake hardware from ZCarDepot since it would be a good idea to replace all of that, too.

Delayed gratification, but no real damage.

• Like 1