IGNORED

Datsun ( Nissan ) Z and ZX types of transmissions and differentials

22 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

I don't know if there exists an F5W71B ?

F5C71-B was Direct-Drive ('Dogleg' shift pattern) 5-speed competition 'box, but there was no Warner synchro version, hence no F5W71-B.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Gearbox manual types on Japanese versions are still not clear...?

Why?

As has been pointed out on this forum for many years, the Japanese market models received the widest choice of S30 (and S130-series) model variants with transmissions to suit. F4W71-A, FS5C71-A, F4W71-B, FS5C71-B, 3N71-A, 3N71-B were all offered. If a marque and series-dedicated forum cannot collectively get its head round that fact after the best part of 20 years of existence then something must be wrong, right?   

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

Why?

As has been pointed out on this forum for many years, the Japanese market models received the widest choice of S30 (and S130-series) model variants with transmissions to suit. F4W71-A, FS5C71-A, F4W71-B, FS5C71-B, 3N71-A, 3N71-B were all offered. If a marque and series-dedicated forum cannot collectively get its head round that fact after the best part of 20 years of existence then something must be wrong, right?   

Thanks for the info. Well new things still come up to this day, so who knows...

• bartsscooterservice changed the title to Datsun Z and ZX types of transmissions and differentials
5 hours ago, RIP260Z said:

Correct.

Also, as in first post, UK, Europe/rest of the world didn't get the 280Z, its just a North American thing. The North American market had the 260z (RS30) for 1 (?) year, whilst other markets carried on the the 260Z (e.g. Aust/NZ /even Japan before Nissan recalled all the 260Z they sold).

UK (and probably Europe- not sure) 280zx (s130) was R180 for autos, R200 for manual 'boxes.

Also, the Japanese market had the S31 for the last couple (?) of years, more than likely 'boxes and diffs were the same (would have to look at fiche to confirm)

Thanks. I changed 280Z only to US and Canada market.

10 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Thanks for the info. Well new things still come up to this day, so who knows...

You're casting your nets for fish, but catching too many rusty discarded shopping trolleys. Look at that "All 240Z, 260Z and 280Z cars sold in North America had HLS30….. as the beginning of the VIN number, not RS30." as an example. The North American market sequence was HLS30, RLS30 and then HLS30 again. If 'corrections' like that are being submitted as fact then what chance does any attempt at a definitive "1 page" list have?  The intention is noble, but...   

And is the thread already on its third (or more?) title change? It now reads "Datsun Z and ZX types of transmissions and differentials", which - I don't know why this does doesn't seem to sink in - precludes the Japanese market models, which were Nissan made and Nissan branded.  

2 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

You're casting your nets for fish, but catching too many rusty discarded shopping trolleys. Look at that "All 240Z, 260Z and 280Z cars sold in North America had HLS30….. as the beginning of the VIN number, not RS30." as an example. The North American market sequence was HLS30, RLS30 and then HLS30 again. If 'corrections' like that are being submitted as fact then what chance does any attempt at a definitive "1 page" list have?  The intention is noble, but...   

And is the thread already on its third (or more?) title change? It now reads "Datsun Z and ZX types of transmissions and differentials", which - I don't know why this does doesn't seem to sink in - precludes the Japanese market models, which were Nissan made and Nissan branded.  

Yes, that's why people can add information here, so I can change things. But I want to keep it in the 1st post, or else it will be a mess.

• bartsscooterservice changed the title to Datsun ( Nissan ) Z and ZX types of transmissions and differentials
32 minutes ago, bartsscooterservice said:

So a carefull conclusion for now usa and canada did not get the r200 on the 260z, only on the 280z, but europe, uk, japan etc did ? Ow wise men, please correct me 😉 

But here's an example of the problems you are causing yourself. You cite '260Z', but what does that mean? You need to - at the very least - include the chassis prefix. In the North American market that means 'RLS30' (2-seater) and 'GRLS30' (2+2) 'Datsun 260Z' variants.

And according to the fiches (you need to look at the fiches...) the North American market 'RLS30' started out with an R180 and the North American market 'GRLS30' started out with an R200.

FYI: Japanese market never got an R200 in the S30-series.

17 hours ago, cgsheen1 said:

Well. I have an early 260Z, build date 07/74 and it had an 3.36 R180 stock. Can't remember but I don't think I've seen a late 260 with an R200 stock... (Good friend Patrick has a late 260 - but it was an auto car originally - with an R180...) I'm interested in knowing too as the late 260's were fairly close otherwise to the early 280Z.

Here's another source of info.  Most of the dates are in mid-1974, but they don't give the first "From".  Ends in August 1974, but no start shown.  It is a manual transmission 2+2 though.  Maybe there is a USA/Canada 260Z with an R200.  That would be opposite of later trends though where they used the R180 for the 2+2's.

Part 37 shows the one year 1975 pinion flange, then no changes.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/differential-gear/r200

My late '74 coupe manual had a R180 and my manual '75 coupe had a R200.  My understanding was always that the R200 was introduced with the '75 manual.  I just looked at the '74 FSM and it only shows a 3.36 R180 for the auto and a 3.54 R180 for the manual.  The '75 FSM only lists a R200 3.54 ratio.

Has anybody looked at the microfiche to see if a R200 is listed for the 2+2 260Z?

Edited by Jeff G 78
Added FSM info