IGNORED

Will a respray diminish my resale value?

Wyo240

I’ve been thinking about doing some body work (small rust spots mainly) and getting an exterior respray (?) or quick paint job, something that hopefully matches the under hood factory color. The car is 90% original from Southern California and the clear coat has definitely disappeared in some places. Would this hinder the opportunity to sell my Z as a “survivor” later down the road?

Pic for reference

8BA9E163-8A27-4AAA-B355-21E159872593.jpeg

I guess I wouldn’t be looking for a cheap paint job but one where I don’t need to strip the car completely. Unless that defines a cheap paint job then I guess I’ll probably just leave the paint and body as is. 

If it had clear coat it's not original singal stage paint the original to the early Zs. My 9/76 has singal stage paint. It fades but that's it, no clear coat failure. My cars, my guess is if you have clear coat spots it's not the original paint. Paint it to your taste.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if you do quality work on the restored portions  (assuming the rest of your paint, and rubber components are very good), you can detail and buff the rest. A good painter can try to match color. All this and you might get by with it.

• Like 1