IGNORED

Injector question!?

dylancorrea1

So when I bought my 1978 Datsun 280z the PO gave me a set of 6 injectors. I was thinking about cleaning them out since they all checked out on my multi meter. But they don’t really look like 280z injectors even though he claimed they were. So are these 280z injectors? Forgive my ignorance. If they aren’t are there any cheap alternative injectors or cheap injectors in general that are trusted that fit stock.IMG_9926.jpgIMG_9925.jpgIMG_9924.jpg

They might be 300Zx injectors.  But they're definitely not 280Z or 280ZX injectors.  There's no barb on the inlet and the seal on the intake end is wrong.  That's the design that came after the 280ZX style.

Not worth much.  You can usually get wrecking yard injectors for about $5 each.  Plus if those have been sitting out for a while they might be rusty inside.

Look for numbers molded in to the plastic if you want to figure out what they came from.

• Like 1

They might be 300Zx injectors.  But they're definitely not 280Z or 280ZX injectors.  There's no barb on the inlet and the seal on the intake end is wrong.  That's the design that came after the 280ZX style.
Not worth much.  You can usually get wrecking yard injectors for about $5 each.  Plus if those have been sitting out for a while they might be rusty inside.
Look for numbers molded in to the plastic if you want to figure out what they came from.

I think I’ll have to look in a junkyard for some injectors 280zx injectors will also fit a 280z correct? Thank you for the information, I hope I can find a 280z with injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look like they could be the O-ring type GM/Ford injectors. They require an adapter for the intake manifold and can't be used with the stock fuel rail.

As far as I can tell, the stock ECU won't run them well either.

https://zcardepot.com/collections/fuel-injection/products/fuel-injector-14mm-o-ring-19-new-efi

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, dylancorrea1 said:

I think I’ll have to look in a junkyard for some injectors 280zx injectors will also fit a 280z correct? Thank you for the information, I hope I can find a 280z with injectors.

Any Z or ZX from 75 - 83 would work.  Also the early Maximas with the L24E.  And various Volkswagen Super Beetles.  

There's actually not a lot in the wrecking years anymore though.  I think that I got lucky because the government was doing their cash for junkers program so a lot of Z's, ZX's, etc. ended up in the wrecking yards in my area.

Any Z or ZX from 75 - 83 would work.  Also the early Maximas with the L24E.  And various Volkswagen Super Beetles.  
There's actually not a lot in the wrecking years anymore though.  I think that I got lucky because the government was doing their cash for junkers program so a lot of Z's, ZX's, etc. ended up in the wrecking yards in my area.

I went to a junk yard today, no dice sadly I was late they had 2 zx’s but they had been gutted and crushed. Turns out I have a leak injector which is why my car has lack of power, and some engine shake. Sadly I think ill have too drop the 440 on a new set of 6 injectors.

[mention=18472]Terrapin Z[/mention] might have a used set.  Or [mention=11371]zKars[/mention]  Anybody who's had a few Z's starts collecting.  Stuff that they'll never use.  

Thank you, I’ll message them and ask because 450 is a steep price for injectors. Thank you for always being so helpful.

6 minutes ago, dylancorrea1 said:

Thank you, I’ll message them and ask because 450 is a steep price for injectors. 

Where do you see $450?  The auto store injectors are pretty good. Looks like you can get them for under $60.  $360 total.  Still spendy.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search/v/a/6637/automotive-car-1978-nissan-280z?q=injectors

Are remans good purchases? I was told remans aren’t recommended by motor z, also does he have a return policy? I have heard of him and have seen forums on him being very reputable but didnt look further. I was also looking at these https://www.datsun-garage.com/products/fuel-injector-replacement-kit-1975-83-280z-280zx-non-turbo-only injectors.

I think the reality of aftermarket parts is that a cleaned, refurbished and tested OEM part is often better than a brand new aftermarket part.  OEM parts are designed to last tens of thousands of miles.  Aftermarket parts are as sketchy as reman OEM, I think.  Worst is probably a reman aftermarket part. 

I think that all of the aftermarket parts come from the same few places.  Standard is a big one.  Don't spend big money from a big name shop just to find out it's a $45 Standard product that you could get from Rockauto.

People like these Standard injectors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1976,280z,2.8l+l6,1209226,fuel+&+air,fuel+injector,6224