IGNORED

EGR Vacuum Routing?

Does anyone know where the EGR's vacuum line plugs in?  I read in the FSM that it plugs into the throttle body's ported vacuum port but then it notes that the only thing that is plugged in there is the T connector that comes from the dizzy & charcoal canister...

Any ideas?

Does the OEM throttle body have 2 ported vacuum ports?  I have the weber big-throat one and it only has one port so I was considering using 2 T-connectors to hook the carbon canister, distributor and EGR to the same port, would that work?

I haven't a clue. I plugged the hose under the TPS circled in yellow to get my car to run after removing egr crap. I don't remember it having anything to do with the distributor or canister? Seems like one of the two hoses off the egr went there and the other to that thermal vacuum switch on the warming plate. It's been a long time and I've forgotten, sorry.

Screenshot_20210515-131014_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

30 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I haven't a clue. I plugged the hose under the TPS circled in yellow to get my car to run after removing egr crap. I don't remember it having anything to do with the distributor or canister? Seems like one of the two hoses off the egr went there and the other to that thermal vacuum switch on the warming plate. It's been a long time and I've forgotten, sorry.

Screenshot_20210515-131014_Samsung Internet.jpg

Gotcha - where did you hook up your distributor's vacuum advance pod?

1 hour ago, chaseincats said:

Gotcha - where did you hook up your distributor's vacuum advance pod?

Okay...

There's one on the driver's side that went to the egr. In my pic above circled in yellow.

The one you're talking about is on the passenger's side of the throttle body and goes the vacuum advance dashpot and the canister.

Here's where it connects to the throttle body...

20210515_151836.jpg

Here's the T...

Screenshot_20210515-152752_Gallery.jpg

Canister connection...

20210515_151918.jpg

I can do better later. I'm helping my neighbor right now so let me know if you want better. Cliff

As Site mentioned above, the original throttle body has two ported vacuum sources. One for the EGR and the other shared by both the carbon can and the distributor vacuum. Here's another pic showing the two vacuum nipples:
P1080098.JPG

And about the idea of sharing the same ported source for all three things (distributor, EGR, and vacuum can), it'll "work", but you can tell from the placement and size of the original vacuum holes that Datsun wanted different vacuum profiles for the two different ports.

Here's a pic down inside the throat of the original throttle body. The three small holes in the back are for the ported vacuum sources. (The two larger holes in the foreground are for the BCDD). The narrow slit hole on the left is for the distributor and CARB can. And the pair of holes on the right are for the EGR. You can see by looking at the shape, size, and position of the holes, that they will have different vacuum profiles at different pedal positions. Looks like this:
P1080104.JPG

So I'm thinking that it'll "work", but the vacuum profiles won't be the same as stock. Then again... Who's to say that your one ported vacuum source is the same as either stock port anyway?   

15 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

As Site mentioned above, the original throttle body has two ported vacuum sources. One for the EGR and the other shared by both the carbon can and the distributor vacuum. Here's another pic showing the two vacuum nipples:
P1080098.JPG

And about the idea of sharing the same ported source for all three things (distributor, EGR, and vacuum can), it'll "work", but you can tell from the placement and size of the original vacuum holes that Datsun wanted different vacuum profiles for the two different ports.

Here's a pic down inside the throat of the original throttle body. The three small holes in the back are for the ported vacuum sources. (The two larger holes in the foreground are for the BCDD). The narrow slit hole on the left is for the distributor and CARB can. And the pair of holes on the right are for the EGR. You can see by looking at the shape, size, and position of the holes, that they will have different vacuum profiles at different pedal positions. Looks like this:
P1080104.JPG

So I'm thinking that it'll "work", but the vacuum profiles won't be the same as stock. Then again... Who's to say that your one ported vacuum source is the same as either stock port anyway?   

Interesting I had no idea there was a size differential.  I did take it out last night with everything connected and did notice the car was a little bit more sluggish, I'm assuming that's mostly due to EGR and not the carb canister?  I had the canister hooked up for a while before I discovered it had a small vacuum leak.