IGNORED

Random Dying. Problem sovled

Vorticity

Cool!  Glad you found the root cause.

So this sort of thing SHOULD have shown up on a bowl level check, but I'm guessing you never had the bowl sight glasses attached at the exact time the problem occurred?

Also, do you know WHY the float valve was sticky? Is it something inside the valve itself, or is it friction between the float tang and the valve stem? That could be valuable info.

• Like 2

something inside the valve itself.  I didn't run it around with the sight glasses on, cause they are plastic and I thought they might melt.  That would have been disastrous.  In the end, I took care of a lot of things that had never been done and needed it.  The radiator had a tiny leak.  The fuel tank was fine, though.  Very clean inside.  I really didn't need to Pour15 it, but I had it out.  While it was out, I got to replace the vapor lines and fuel lines, all of which were probably original.  I've got a full history (right down to fuel mileage booklets) on this car and those things were never done.  The paperwork saved by the two previous owners is amazing.  You can see the fuel mileage decline, then you find a receipt for a tuneup and the mileage goes back up.  

Someday I'll take apart the float valve and see what's causing it to stick shut.  

• Like 1

Gotcha. Here's a pic of some float valves where you can see the guts. There are a bunch of different styles floating around out there made by different manufacturers, but most of them are the same concept.

It's been many moons since I took that pic, but I think the ones at the top are aftermarket flat-top, the one on the bottom left is OEM flat-top, and the one on the bottom right is OEM round-top:
P1130430.JPG

Not claiming that it's an all inclusive list, but I've seen sticky valves from:
1) rubber tip turned to gooey gum from incompatibilities with today's fuel
2) corrosion on the brass bits (note some of that starting on the one in the lower left of the pic)
3) broken spring
4) Crud built up inside the valve interfering with the movement of the guts
5) insufficient fuel line pressure to overcome the cracking pressure of the valve

In any event, happy hunting and I'm glad you found the smoking gun!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vorticity said:

The radiator had a tiny leak.

Remembers me of a drive we had in the carclub ones.. someone had a leak and what could be done... haha the solution is a ripe banana!  You can stop a radiator leak with a ripe banana..   You just have to peel it and stuff the banana into the spot where the leak is!  It wil get dry and hard and stops the leak, fill up and finish your drive..   Haha later on, weeks later.. i heard he still drove around with a banana in his radiator!!  🤣

• Like 1