IGNORED

Wiring issues

Alex240z

Hello everyone, 

More Datsun issues that I can't solve. So my car didn't come with a wiper switch or a turn signal switch. In a search for one online I can not for the life of me find one that fits the wires that I have. Either I'm missing something or I'm stupid. I've looked on http://datsunforum.com/datsun-240z-sport-1971-fsm-supplement/ for my year car 6/1971. So far the only things that match are the plugs the rest really don't. Here are some photos for reference. 

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

Edited by Alexg280z

22 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

Here are the part numbers for the headlight side of the combo switch. The challenge is that the one you need had the shortest production run.

image.png

You can’t be serious. Fml. The harness I got is from a 4/71 too so that’s beautiful. Is there much difference from a E4600 to a E4602? 

You can get a connector from vintage connections, and piece together something. It's what I had to do with my 260z. You'll be spending a good amount of time looking at a wiring diagram. It looks like the harness is kinda hacked up. So you might need some 6.3mm fittings and 4mm fittings.

4 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

You can get a connector from vintage connections, and piece together something. It's what I had to do with my 260z. You'll be spending a good amount of time looking at a wiring diagram. It looks like the harness is kinda hacked up. So you might need some 6.3mm fittings and 4mm fittings.

That depends somewhat on the switch and wiring harness. On the early cars, the wiring was such that the headlight switch just completed the path to ground for the headlight circuit after going through the high/low beam switch. At some point (and I don't know exactly when), the wiring and switch changed such that the switch operated on the positive side of the circuit. I don't know what changes there were in the intermediate step between the early Zs and the 72 that drove the production of the E4602 switch.

@Zs-ondabrain might be able to provide a little more detail.

The series 1 240Z headlight switch, completed the ground circuit (black wire and a red wire on the contacts of the headlight switch) and a constant positive feed to the headlights.

The series 2 (Feb of 71?) had a white/red and a solid red on the headlight switch contacts. So the headlight switch controls the positive and the hi/lo beam switch controlled the grounds.

So the series 1 had ground switching and the series 2 had positive switching.

• Like 2