IGNORED

Has Anyone Ever Created a Nut & Bolt List of the Interior of a 240Z

JMF 1970 240Z

Seems the interior nuts, bolts, screws on the Z cars are unique.  Has anyone ever created a list of all the interior screws, size, thread type, etc., for a 240Z?   Specifically around the dash and heater panel.  I spent several hours chasing down several threads but no luck.  Thanks.   

I don't have a list, but this might help for most of the fasteners. Nissan used a system that fully described the fasteners within there unique part numbers. If you don't have a copy of the the parts microfiche CD that is available for purchase in downloads, you can find the Nissan part number for the fasteners you are looking for here:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978

Here is a discussion about how to decode the fastener information from the part number, hopefully it might help you,

My car is currently disassembled so I might be able to help with specific fasteners if you are unable to find the information on your own.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by CanTechZ

Thanks Mike. This is a good resource to have. I looked at my FSM and could find the part number for the fasteners I was looking for.  Specifically 3 items., The 4 self tapping screws that hold the dash to the car and also hold the two vent levers (right and left) under the dash.  The 4 machine screws that attach the heater control panel to the the dash.  and the little screw that holds the fan control knob to the housing.  

Thank you!

James - 

Dash to firewall are all M6 1.0 but are machine screws not self tapping, the ones under neath the ends are the same. Even the two in the middle at the trans tunnel (four for 280’s) are all M6 machine. They do have a starter tapered thread at the tip I suppose.

The self tappers that hole the vent levers are #8 roughly, quite coarse. Sorry don’t have the exact spec. 

the four heater panel are M4 x 0.7 about 30 mm long, 25 at least. Run a tap into the threads on the dash to clean them up. They like to get cross threaded and nasty.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, zKars said:

the four heater panel are M4 x 0.7 about 30 mm long, 25 at least. Run a tap into the threads on the dash to clean them up. They like to get cross threaded and nasty.

Thought I'd use the heater panel screw as an example to use the NES ten digit part number system to decode and compare to one of the screws from my 7/70 car. From the US Nissan parts book (1979) the part number is 08320-41842 and decodes as follows:

08320-41842 SCREW-MACHINE M4

08 = standardize hardware prefix
  32 = Machine Screw, Flat head
  04 = 4mm diameter (M4)
  18 = 18mm length
  4 = Phosphoric acid coated (Black)
  2 = filler to complete ten digits

When I look at my screw it has an oval head and was a bit longer, here's a picture,

Heater Panel Screw Oval Head 08430-42042.jpg

So I had a look in the 1973 JDM Nissan parts book and found a different 10 digit part number, 0843-42042 and decodes as follows:

08430-42042 SCREW-MACHINE M4

08 = standardize hardware prefix
  43 = Pointed Machine Screw, Oval head
  04 = 4mm diameter (M4)
  20 = 20mm length
  4 = Phosphoric acid coated (Black)
  2 = filler to complete ten digits

This describes mine exactly, unfortunately I am missing one.  What screw type do others have, oval like mine or true flat head?

Here are images from the US and JDM parts books. The illustrations are much better in the JDM version.

Heater Panel Screw.JPG

Heater Panel Screw-JDM.JPG

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

I think what you have is the stock screw.  i.e., oval head, machine, pointed tip, black.  I also have a 1970 (10/70) but none of the screws for this piece are original, I have searched and cannot find Oval head, M4 machine with or without a pointed tip.  Seems to be an elusive screw.  I did order this screw in a flat head to get buy for now. 

James - 

Just recently tried to pick up some fasteners at my local Fastenal. They recently started a new policy where there was a minimum $ amount of $25 for non-account holders. Not sure if this is corporate wide or not. 

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...

I do not think that the car manufacturer has developed unique fasteners for a particular car, and now it is impossible to find something suitable. It seems to me that you're probably missing something. Try to measure the diameter of the fasteners on your car and find on the Internet a table of the dimensions of the fasteners according to the diameter. After that, you can look for fasteners in online stores and contact consultants if you still have doubts. I think this way you will certainly find what you are looking for.

Edited by Nardeant

On 2/19/2021 at 4:20 PM, Yarb said:

Just recently tried to pick up some fasteners at my local Fastenal. They recently started a new policy where there was a minimum $ amount of $25 for non-account holders. Not sure if this is corporate wide or not. 

I would not recommend Fastenal for small purchases of any kind. The couple of times I’ve tried I walked out after finding out $2 parts were $75….  They are definitely geared to industrial customers. 

BelMetric is a favorite of mine. 

Edited by zKars
  • Agree 1