IGNORED

Zx 5 speed rebuild

Patcon

For the selector seals you will need the o-ring on the outside of the striking rod (32721N) P/N:32710-14600 size:24x2.5mm

and

The inner lip-seal for the striking rod (32850H) P/N: 32858-U6702  size:14/20x2mm.

You will need to push the cap off using the striking rod. It will come off easily and can be re-staked with little problem. You can use a tiny amount of sealant to create a god seal.

The omega bush can be fitted in both directions. The hole is not used in the datsun extension housing.

Screenshot_20210615-203936.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1

Another small improvement for when you assenmle the transmission.

On the top rear of the extension housing is the locating pin/circlip for the striking rod. It is actually located on the oil side of the O-Ring seal on the striking rod. It can weep oil.

It is not much, but a little sealant around the pin (32847) and its circlip will stop it and keep the area dry and clean.

Screenshot_20210615-205052.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave WM said:

I thought that hole needed to line up with the oil trough.

The originals did'nt have the hole. The swirl form in the bush pulls oil through the bush to lubricate and help cool it and provide some oil to the seal. The oil can then flow back through the drain back to the transmission.

9 hours ago, EuroDat said:

The originals did'nt have the hole. The swirl form in the bush pulls oil through the bush to lubricate and help cool it and provide some oil to the seal. The oil can then flow back through the drain back to the transmission.

that's odd, i went thru my stash and found my OE bush, it had two ovals holes about 45 degrees apart, EuroDat yours had no holes at all? now I am confused, OP check your original bushing and get back to us.

I looked back at your pic, I also could not see the center ring in the middle like my OE one has, but was not sure if it was just hidden by the shadow.

I found the pic of my old one from my trans rebuild, the one on the right. the one on the left is the short one, not the omega that I ended up using.

100_1106.thumb.JPG.98042310ab55fc5bf9b696efc91e8b18.JPG

Edited by Dave WM

Hi Dave,

I still have my old one laying around somewhere, but I know it didn't have any holes in it like the two 71C trannies I have. Maybe somewhere in the 71B production they started fitting them with the holed versions?

So I got the shifter cap off

I tried to just bang it out with the shifter rod against a block but had to make an anvil and hit it with a brass hammer.

20210620_141642.jpg20210620_141940.jpg

So now I'm stuck again

You can see the shaft seal right here

20210620_142115.jpg20210620_145044.jpg20210620_145038.jpg

but I can't get it out... It appears to have a brass bushing about 15mm long behind it. I didn't know if I could drive it all out? I tried to use a pick but it's stuck pretty good. Might be nice to replace the bushing if I could find a correct replacement

@EuroDat

@Dave WM

I wouldn't drive out the brass bush. Never heard of one needing replacement and you would need to get it fabricated.

All I use is a length of 2.5 or 3 mm welding rod, with flux removed, and flatten (to about 1.5mm thick) the last 5mm with a hammer on a vice or anvil. Then bend the last 3 to 5mm to 90 degrees. Use it as a hook. You can get that behind the seal and pull it out. They should come out easily unless someone has glued it in.

Yours looks like the last person to rebuild the transmission put it in backwards or it could be the photos. The lip in the seal should point towards the transmission.