IGNORED

Weird Residue Inside coolant Passages

User0945

I threaded a nipple into the drain hole on the left side of the block and jammed a length of garden hose onto the nipple. The nipple was the one that threads into the back corner of the head, and the garden hose was from my buddy's hose when he wasn't looking.

We did two blocks like this. First block we used ospho, and the second block we used evaporust. The ospho worked better, but the evaporust didn't stink like the ospho did.

Note that the length of hose must be long enough so that you can keep it above the deck surface. Used a funnel to fill it, and then just unhook the hose and lower it into a bucket to drain. What you can't see is that I made a block off plate to cover the water holes that go into the front timing cover. But the rest of the process looked like this:
P1160264.JPG

Fill it up to the point where you get worried about it coming out the holes in the deck and let it sit:
P1160265.JPG

If I were to do it again, I would use ospho followed up by the evaporust. But I would do the ospho with better ventilation.

As for the rinsing... I made a copper adapter spray nozzle for a hose that worked as a kinda pressure washer. It wasn't pressure washer high pressure, but I bet it shot twenty feet at typical house water pressure. I don't have any pics of that device, but if I can find it, I'll snap a couple. The biggest advantage was that it was small diameter and about a foot long. you could stick it into the holes in the block. wretch it around, and really blast stuff out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

I would try to find a pressure washer to borrow and go at it. I bet most of that will wash out

I've used a pressure washer a few times to clean out blocks, it works very well on getting the muck out. Make sure you have some kind of face shield when doing it, rusty sand in the Cornea is no fun.

• Like 1