IGNORED

Series 1 vs 2 seats

Wally

OK. my 71 is a series 1...all OEM. I am trying to keep it that way but i really like the seats on series 2 and they recline better and easier. I am thinking hard about getting a local pair and installing them. I will keep the original ones though in case i every sell the car. Just wanting anyones viewpoints before i 

go buy yet again something else.

Btw... will 260 or 280 seat identically swap evenly or are 240 seats distinct? 

Edited by Wally

That seems like an easy change to reverse should you ever decide you wanted to.  I'd go for it if that is what you want.

Unfortunately I cannot answer the rest of your questions as all I have is series 1 seats so nothing I can go look at or take pictures of.

4 hours ago, Wally said:

go buy yet again something else.

Btw... will 260 or 280 seat identically swap evenly or are 240 seats distinct? 

Oh, get used to that phrase, "Buy something else yet again" haha

The later seats will work in the early cars, but you will have to swap out the sliders.

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my 71 seats with seats from a 77 so I could have the seats recline and flip forward to access the tool bins on the floor behind the seats. Had to swap the rails from the bottom of the seats so they would mount. The floor mount of the 240z's is different than the 280Z's. Wasn't a big deal. And while I was at it I did leather seat covers and new foam. I also think the springs instead of the straps for the seat bottom support is a nice update too.

Here's my seats

Leather Seats - Interior - The Classic Zcar Club (classiczcars.com)

Edited by w3wilkes

i was able to find the following in the image attached. Person told me they were out of a later 240z...(not sure). however they do align and fit up with the seat holes on my 71 240z seats. so i am gonna go with this as soon as i clean them up 

a bit. If anyone has the 3rd hinge i am missing from this set please pm me. Its the one from the inside hinge of the driver seat

.IMG_1880.jpg