IGNORED

Best add on A/C kit for 77 280z??

Oilking53

On 11/27/2020 at 11:03 PM, DC871F said:

Honestly until I realized that Nostalgic offer the service for controls on the OE panel, was sold on Vintage, but now, I think Nostalgic will be the one, and all new parts.

Yes tell them we are watching. I'm also thinking since a longer time to use their system. They could offer diy HW kit for the controls (I'm in Europe and sending it would be complicated)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, hope all y’all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! I have a question. So far I’ve been able to track down most of the parts I need for adding A/C but I did notice on the control panel for non a/c it has a 3 speed setting for the blower motor and 4 speeds on the a/c face plate. Do I need to change anything out on the blower motor for this or is it just plug and play? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your car came without A/C, the four speed switch won't mate with the HVAC sub-harness.
In order to change over to the four speed switch, you'll need the different blower resistor and HVAC-sub-harness. (Note that the four speed blower resistor also requires the different sub-harness.

Thanks Captain Obvious,
I also wanted to ask if I do a blower upgrade either with a Honda or a Kia would the resister and or sub harness be needed? Thanks

I'm not completely sure what you're asking with the blower upgrade question, but....

The resistor is mated to the switch. If you have a three position switch, then you need a three position resistor. If you want to use a four position switch, then you'll need to pair that with a four position resistor. You can run any of the fans (original, Kia, Honda, etc) with either switch, but you need the proper resistor for the switch.

As for the sub-harness thingie... It looks like this. This is the one for an A/C system:
P1110543.JPG

And here's a low detailed shot of both options for the sub-harness. A/C on top, non-A/C on bottom. If you look closely and count connectors, you'll notice that the sub-harness for A/C has more connectors on it. The extra connectors are for A/C specific items like the compressor control:
P1110588.JPG

Ok thanks for the info that’s a big help being able to see it. I herd if I went with the blower upgrade it came with the correct resister so I wouldn’t need one, just what I heard. So currently I have everything for the dash except for the A/C sub harness so my next question is are you selling that one [emoji23]?? If I understand correctly if I want to use the 4 speed switch that comes on the a/c face plate then I need to also switch the resister out as well but if not then it will still work with the 3 speed one just won’t have the extra speed, is that right? Regardless I do need the sub harness to make it work right? Thanks for the help!

sorry, but that harness is installed in my car. I put some parts in for A/C just like you're doing. I installed the whole A/C control head with the 4-position switch and also swapped out my original blower resistor for the one that works with the 4-position switch. And that's the only A/C sub-harness I have, sorry.

Another complication is that the 4-position switch has another feature built into it that deals with the A/C system specifically. It has an output pin that is essentially "The fan is not in the OFF position." And that pin is used to disable/enable the A/C system. You see, it's potentially damaging to the compressor to run the A/C if the blower motor is not spinning. You run the risk of slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant. So they make sure the compressor will not run unless the fan is spinning. The 3-position switch has no such feature.

So you can either "always just remember to turn the fan on when the A/C is running", or you can use the 4-position switch to interlock automatically and do that for you.

After a lot of words above, the bottom line is... I recommend you get your hands on the sub-harness that came with the A/C cars and run the 4-position switch.

• Like 1