IGNORED

Upper Door Weather Seal (on body)

Frankenstein

I have looked through hundreds of pics online of 280z cars and late model 260z. Not one of them I can see has this seal on. My car is a 12/74 260z and it had it (note the first pic below). Did most people remove these or if during a repaint they just kept them off? Should I just keep it off? What was the reason for adding? Any insight would be appreciated. It looks like Vintage Rubber is the only place to buy from. Mine just went through paint so that is why the question came up.

45A96582-5FE6-4D3A-95E5-8A20A4A10563.jpeg

22ED1605-53AF-442F-9D67-23ED6F122E10.png

Edited by Frankenstein

The upper door seal fits into a channel on the top of the window frame, not on the body.  If your 260z has this channel, you can install the seals.

It is also manufactured by Precision.  Available from places such as MSA, ZcarDepot, etc.

The seals were part of the continuing improvements made as time progressed, I have always assumed to address wind noise complaints.

1 hour ago, S30Driver said:

The upper door seal fits into a channel on the top of the window frame, not on the body.  If your 260z has this channel, you can install the seals.

It is also manufactured by Precision.  Available from places such as MSA, ZcarDepot, etc.

The seals were part of the continuing improvements made as time progressed, I have always assumed to address wind noise complaints.

The seal in question is attached to the body and not the frame of the door. Are you talking about the same one as shown in pics? I understand about the one that was added in later years and goes in the groove on top of the door frame. This is a totally different piece that is attached to the body of the car next to the main door seal.

Edited by Frankenstein

Given the number of Z’s I’ve driven in that have wind noise and weatherstrip leaks around the doors and window channel, it is no surprise to me that various owners have tried to “make it better” by adding additional weatherstrip of their own design to various areas. The stuff on your car and the one on this picture are not “Stock”.

54 minutes ago, zKars said:

Given the number of Z’s I’ve driven in that have wind noise and weatherstrip leaks around the doors and window channel, it is no surprise to me that various owners have tried to “make it better” by adding additional weatherstrip of their own design to various areas. The stuff on your car and the one on this picture are not “Stock”.

Thank you. That was my main question. Will not put it back on after paint.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:08 PM, Frankenstein said:

Here is a 75 280z on bat auction that has the body door strip.

B9F88907-1832-4833-A488-DFD5F095E5EA.jpeg

You know, I have a vague recollection of a 75 280 I had once about 30 years ago that had weatherstripping like that. It looked to be some universal weatherstripping that was glued on in an effort to mitigate wind noise. 

Unfortunately the car is long gone, so I can't go check it out.

• Like 1