IGNORED

Muffler

Wally

Hey folks, I have a single question and didn't feel it warrants it own thread so I'm scabbing onto this one.   I've had a MSA 6-1 header on my 240 for 7 years or so.  I need to remove the tranny (ZX 5 speed) and I'm wondering if I can get it out without removing the header.  Has anyone here done that before?  Pulling the header means intake mani, carbs, new gasket etc. etc. and probably triples the amount work.  I have a lift I can use to get the car off the ground.   Any info is greatly appreciated.  

Thanks. 

Probably won't know until you're in the middle of it.  Hope for the best, plan for problems.  Remember that you'll probably be tilting the engine down at the back so there will be more room to slide the transmission out.  I think that's your potential bind though, having room to slide the transmission back past the end of the headers, without hitting the body in the tunnel, before you can drop it down.  Just a guess.

Don't let the fan blades hit the radiator.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up in case someone is in the same position.  I WAS able to drop the tranny without removing the header.  I filed down the ear on the transmission to give a bit more room, and then ground a bit more of it off once it was out of the car.  This will provide a bit more space upon installation. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, siteunseen said:

Put one of these on the drive shaft out put too. Keeps from making a mess and you can drain the fluid after to get it pulled.

Edit. The one on top was for pressure wasing, cleaning. You won't need that to keep the fluid in. 

images.jpeg.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Have you got a source for these?