IGNORED

Strange emergency flasher issue

Montana Z

Hello folks,

I have a 72 240 (build date 11/71).  My turn signals work, but when I turn the flashers on the left front does not illuminate.  If I turn the flashers on and the left turn signal all four flash as they should.  Any ideas on where to look/ how to fix?  Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,

Scot

15 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

here is the switch

here is the inside

The OP's problem is with the hazard switch. If it was functioning correctly, it should switch off the turn signal switch. Since he says the left front flashes when the hazard switch and turn signal switch are on, the hazard switch is not cutting off the turn signal switch like it should. The rocker switch in the hazard switch isn't making good contact with that part of the circuit.

• Like 1

Just wanted to ad, the Us version of the Hazard switch has 9 wires..  the euro version has only 3!   (has to do with the fact that US uses the same bulbs for flash,lights and brakes..  Euro/JDM version has different bulbs for that.. so the schematic diagram is much simpler and ... a bit more relyable.. 😁

• Like 2

Update:  I took my switch apart and it did show corrosion on one of the contacts.  I sanded all contact points with 1200 grit paper reassembled and reinstalled.  Unfortunately there was no change in the issue.  I did remember that I have a spare dash with an emergency switch so I'll try swapping that in to see if there is ant change... thanks again!

Cheers,

Scot

Don,

Thank you so much for that very generous offer.  Unfortunately I'm heading overseas fairly soon and at the moment don't have spare time to work the issue.  My plan is to get it sorted when I get back (putting in a new to me 82 zx 5-speed is also on the list).  Would it be alright if I reached out to you down the road when I have a little more spare time?

Cheers,

Scot

1 hour ago, Montana Z said:

Update:  I took my switch apart and it did show corrosion on one of the contacts.  I sanded all contact points with 1200 grit paper reassembled and reinstalled.  Unfortunately there was no change in the issue.  I did remember that I have a spare dash with an emergency switch so I'll try swapping that in to see if there is ant change... thanks again!

Cheers,

Scot

Sometimes adjusting the rockers can be a challenge. The pivot may also be worn, though I haven't taken enough of the hazard switches apart to know if that could be an issue.

• Like 1