IGNORED

First start today!

rcv

14 minutes ago, rcv said:

@siteunseen I just read through your linked post, and think I get it. You’re using an electric fuel pump to push fuel through the float while it sits on a glass. Then you just measure the fuel level in the glass when it stops, right? I’m I reading the FSM right when it says the fuel level should be 23mm from the roof of the lid? I don’t have an electric pump, but any reason it wouldn’t work if I pull off my mechanical pump and actuate it manually?

Yes. I scratched a line in a glass jar that was 23mm from the lid's roof then hooked up an old pump and got them dead on. Never looked back, they have been rock solid for 4 years now????

The jar was one of these from my grocery store.

Hormel Ground Formed & Sliced Dried Beef, 2.5 oz (Pack of 12)

Well, no Hormel Dried Beef at the grocery store, but I did find a nice straight glass and a big flat trivet that can live in the garage. 

75A86889-89E7-43BB-956F-B968DB352957.jpeg

Just to be clear on the measurements, 23mm is from the roof of the bowl lid right? That lid is recessed by 3mm, plus I have a 1.5mm piece of plastic it’s sitting in, so I’ll need fuel at 23 - 3 - 1.5 = 18.5mm below the top of my glass right?

Speaking of math escaping us, I may have inhaled too much of these gasoline fumes. 

Does the diameter of my measuring vessel matter? My cup is around 80mm wide, but it shouldn’t matter as long as I’m filling slow and steady right? Archimedes is rolling in his grave right now. 

I’ve got my tab bent really damned low and  I’ve finally gotten to my 18.5 mark, but the float is pretty much topped out against the lid. Doesn’t seem right at all, and worries me that any minor variation and I’ll start spewing gasoline out of my bowls. 

41B625FB-C705-431D-88A0-38A338A7EA32.jpeg
D1A07A3C-9910-4CB8-9E1D-449DC8383479.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that water or gas? Seems like i read it makes a difference but DANG! thats way off from mine. I have know idea Sir, sorry. It should sit level in my opinion. Another thought. Maybe your glass is so much wider allowing it to do that? The float chambers might keep it level because of their smaller diameter. You need some dried beef! LOL

DSC01679.thumb.JPG.2225dee750287abaf24cfdfa6d4efef2.JPG.jpg

Yup it’s gas. I tried my old floats/valves/lid combos from my original carbs and got the same basic results. I’m beginning to think maybe my adjustment factor is off?

These are 4-screw carbs if that makes any difference.