IGNORED

Just Another Damned Z Car Project Thread

conedodger

The reason I went to ebay looking at the 350Z throttle body was to try to confirm the mounting measurements (didn't work). You said it fits the 280 plenum (60mm square), but I've never messed with one to confirm or deny the compatibility. However, if it doesn't fit, you're only out thirty bucks.

So about the cold start plate, I made one out of stainless couple years ago and thankfully did not get sidetracked by nitrous.  LOL 

53 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

The reason I went to ebay looking at the 350Z throttle body was to try to confirm the mounting measurements (didn't work). You said it fits the 280 plenum (60mm square), but I've never messed with one to confirm or deny the compatibility. However, if it doesn't fit, you're only out thirty bucks.

So about the cold start plate, I made one out of stainless couple years ago and thankfully did not get sidetracked by nitrous.  LOL 

It would be an interesting sidetrack though! 

17 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sure would!

So by the way... Where did you find the info that said the 350Z uses the same mounting pattern as the 280Z throttle body? How credible was the source?

HybridZ...I haven’t been hanging there much. I asked the question last year when I was in the planning stage. Then, lost my password. I checked back yesterday and it’s the top thread in the Haltech EMS section! Credible? We’ll find out!

Spent the day chasing threads in the intake manifold and solving the fuel rail mounting problem. It will work, but I need to pull the upper outer two mounting studs from the manifold and replace them with much longer studs. Like 50mm maybe longer. As you may be able to see, the mounting flange falls well short of reaching the stud. That's why I thought the Protunerz peeps had lost their minds when they told me I maybe have to use spacers. (To their credit, when I contacted them, they got back to me within an hour or two and gave me the idea to use longer studs.) So now, the fuel rail is mocked up using bolts instead of studs as I don't want to put it on the engine yet. I also mounted the heat shield and put the 3M heat tape on the header side for additional heat deflection.

On the plus side, I was able to find 50 - 60mm X 1.5 studs at McMaster Carr.

Edited by conedodger

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I think they're smaller than that. All of that small stuff is M6 x 1.0 .  For comparison, the throttle body mounting bolts are M8.

BTW - What's the link for that throttle body thread on HybridZ? I'd like to take a look.

larger than M6X1.0, I have an amazing fastener store locally and I now have 100 M6X1.0. I agree @Captain Obvious, they are the most common smaller one. But the heat shield to intake are larger. Maybe M7X1.0?