IGNORED

Pin Extractor for Round Pins

SteveJ

I'm trying to find the right size pin extractor to remove the round male pins from the connectors. The size appears to be the same as a Molex pin. (0.093" or 2.36 mm).

Has anyone on here found a good pin extractor for these? I am hoping to design a headlight relay solution for the 260Z/280Z that will be of similar elegance to the solution I created for the 72/73.

• Like 1

So, after playing around with measurement tools on the pins, I decided to order a Molex pin removal tool for 0.093" pins. It's supposed to arrive today, but since I can be impatient at times, I decided to experiment again with materials on hand.

I have a "key chain" of pin extractors. None fit the 280Z pins, but there was one that was just slightly too small. I took a 3/32" drill bit and stretched the tube on the extractor. The crimped area in the photo is from holding the tube with pliers to remove the drill bit.

20200826_081337.jpg

I tested it on an old gauge, and the pin pushed right out. I tried another pin, but it didn't budge. That's when I figured that I must have been able to push the barbs in the pliers I modified.

20200826_081358.jpg

I tried the technique a couple of more times with squeezing the barbs with the pliers and following up with sliding the extractor over the pin to push it out. 

20200826_081433.jpg

So next it was time to test fit the pins in the connector from Vintage Connections. Nope. It didn't fit. I ordered some Molex connectors from Amazon to try another experiment. I should see those by Friday, I hope.

Okay, so I received the Molex pin extractor. It kinda-sorta worked, but the spring inside wasn't strong enough to push the pin through. (Don't get the spring loaded pin extractor.)

I seem to have more success using a 1/8" brass tube with 0.014" walls along with my modified pliers. The brass tube is from K&S Precision Metals, part number 8127.

Jim @S30Driver - Did you have to remove any pins from that project you asked me about?

Yes, I had too cheap a set of extractor tools, but worked well enough on the instrument pins to complete that job.  The brass tube looks like a good idea.

Looking for the one for the large pins in the round headlight connectors so I can get those connectors 3D printed.

I made (surprised?) my own extractor tools for those connectors. I'll take a pic and post next time I'm in the shop.

You think the male pins are difficult? Just wait till you try to take one of the female receptacles out!

And you're also trying to mate new parts with those? If so, there's nothing from Molex or Tyco that is going to work. Everything is the wrong size. You're going to have to spring for the Yazaki originals. I got mine from CycleTerminal  >>>   http://www.cycleterminal.com/yazaki-ypc.html 

And note that they have extractor tools for those contacts... Just $58 for the set!   :excl:

I believe Eastern Beaver has these too, but I didn't have enough of an order to warrant overseas shipping. If you're going to put an order in (from either place), let me know and maybe I can add on a little bit.

Since you're working with headlights... Are you looking for the big contact too, or just the small one (like the ones you pictured above)?

Well, the female Molex terminals work on the male Yazaki terminals, and in a pinch, the male Yazaki terminals can be used in a 4 pin Molex connector. I did notice in my test fits that the 0.093 male Molex terminals were not that secure in female Yazaki that had been stretched. Other terminals in the same connector were more snug, but not enough for my liking. It's all about fractions of millimeters.

With the higher current application in headlights, I went ahead and ordered some Yazaki connectors/terminals from Cycle Terminal. I did test fit the male connectors from the Yamaha connector kit I purchased from Vintage connections. It fits snugly, but I would have to crimp on a wire to see if it will lock into the Datsun connector. The locking pins are much smaller than the barbs on the Yazaki terminals, though, so I'm not too optimistic about locking into place.

• 2 years later...

Are there any part numbers for the old male and female Yazaki contact pins?
Beside a suitable extraction tool I am also looking for new pins that I can use with the old connector housing.

One of the previous owners bypassed a wire and I would like to integrate it into the connector again.

image.png

image.png

• 1 year later...

Revisiting for clarity.

The female YPC round terminals can be removed with a iwiss/icrimp weatherpack tool. The model number of the tool is WR01. I might have mentioned this elsewhere, but I thought it would be good to have the information reside here. 

It seems like the WR01 is only sold as a kit with a crimping tool or with other extractors. Frankly, the other extractors look like they would work on the YPC 6.3 and 2.8 mm connectors. https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Extractor-Removal-Metri-Pack-Connectors-3/dp/B08PKLZXCX