IGNORED

Testing Clock

ea6driver

I'm interested in selling this clock that has been stored in a box in my garage for several years.  The buyer is asking me if it works.  I'd like to test it.  Can I simply attach leads to a 12V battery and apply the positive lead to the blue pin on the connector and apply the negative lead to the black pin to see if it operates? The face of the clock is labeled "quartz", so I think it's from a later model classic Z.  Thanks!

IMG_5143.JPG

So I hooked up the clock to my 12V car battery as described above...and sure enough, the clock seemed to operate normally, at least for a while.  Every time the minute hand would rotate around to approximately the six o'clock position it would "stick" in position.  I could adjust the minute hand using the center "set" knob, and it would begin operation normally again...at least until it rotated around to that same position again.  It felt as if there was something slightly obstructing the minute hand at that position of its travel. Anyway, the point being that there appeared to be no problem powering the clock up by connecting it directly to the car battery.

Thanks!  I was kinda thinking about opening up the case to investigate the cause of the problem...I mean, what do i have to lose? Is this something that can be easily purchased and replaced by a motivated amateur z clock repair man?