IGNORED

Red or Yellow Koni Struts?

ToolBoy

Hello to all. . . Can anyone clarify the difference between the red and yellow Koni struts. The yellows seen at Motorsport claim they were specially designed for S30 but I also see the red struts at other suppliers (Z car depot). Both are adjustable but the reds are more money so I'm wondering what the qualitative difference is between the two? Are they worth the additional outlay? Anybody know?  Thx.

• 2 years later...

Rear stub axles are ready to press in and I'm starting to look at installing the yellow sport Koni's.  The info that comes with the shocks is not terribly clear. Wondering if anyone has done a video or a Q and A? Also wondering if there is an adapter for the torque wrench that tightens the big Koni nut but that holds the shock in or do I just muscle it in with a big channel locks?? (rather not)  Also how much oil to put in the cylinder? Thanks for any leads on this topic. . . . 

Best to all. . . Andy

IMG_1380.heicIMG_1379.heic

There is a very long thread on this site describing the installation of the Konis, just search "Koni.". Here is a link to a youtube video embedded the thread - https://youtu.be/WoyR1-cAWH4. MSA sells a tool for tightening the "gland nut" on the strut. I used it and it works pretty well and doesn't mar the nut like a pipe wrench, just be careful that it doesn't slip. The video shows where the dust baffles go. For a bump stop I used KONI foam bump stops (70-34-95-000-0). They work well with the stock springs, but they may be too big if your car is lowered.

Hello jpc, Thanks for your reply and much appreciated video and thread. I was slowly becoming comfortable and had ordered a gland nut adapter for torque wrench but having the whole process in a video is really great. Did the car originally have a dust baffle installed or is it just a good idea? I will get a set of the foam Koni bump stops at your recommendation too.  Just noticed your location. I'm originally from Lancaster. . . Thanks again. Andy 

Andy,

The original Datsun struts didn't have a dust baffle, neither did the red Konis from the 1970s and 80s. This is the third set of Konis I've had on the car. The baffle is new to me with the yellow Konis and from what I've read it is there to keep pneumatic pressure from damaging the strut seal when bottoming out on the bump stops. I don't know if it is really necessary but I trust Koni knows what they're doing with shocks.

It's a small world, my daughter lived in Lancaster until she got married a few years ago. What a beautiful town and area. I know several folks who moved there in retirement. 

Good luck with your Z car.

John

On 8/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, ToolBoy said:

Also wondering if there is an adapter for the torque wrench that tightens the big Koni nut but that holds the shock in or do I just muscle it in with a big channel locks?? (rather not) 

Snap On makes two gland nut wrenches, WMS1, and WMS2. 

WMS1 has four sizes, 51, and 54 mm on one side, 55, and 58 mm on the other.

WMS2 has 53 mm on one side, and two sizes for slotted gland nuts like one finds on hydraulic jacks.

Pictures below.

851ABBB0-6CE7-42EA-B031-95AC997EDC20.jpeg851ABBB0-6CE7-42EA-B031-95AC997EDC20.jpeg0A0B1126-B213-4DF3-BA75-AA370CFABADF.jpegAAD816D5-DE2A-4FEB-9D31-70EB6779C056.jpeg

On 8/7/2022 at 7:16 PM, ToolBoy said:

Also how much oil to put in the cylinder?

The OEM strut assemblies used the strut tube as a reservoir, so oil was used. 

The aftermarket strut cartridges are fully self contained. No oil is required to be added. 

0A0B1126-B213-4DF3-BA75-AA370CFABADF.jpeg

C41799A8-0989-46F0-A2AF-277CC7DFC402.jpeg

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 3

Thanks Racer X. I bought a wrench head previously that fit the stock nut but the one furnished with the yellow koni is circular. I've included photo of the tool I found recently. Good to know about the snap-on wrenches. I also read somewhere that the oil helps dissipate heat. . .  Best, AndyIMG_1391.heic