IGNORED

1973 Exhaust Downpipes?

ConchZ

Does anyone know where I can get a new set of downpipes for the stock 1973 manifold?  Do I have to get them custom made?  Has anyone done that, and what did it cost?  

If I can't get new downpipes for a reasonable cost, my only options are:

1)  Headers, or

2)  Find an older exhaust manifold and use the MSA exhaust kit (MSA doesn't make it for 1973 manifold).

Any other ideas?  Thanks!

• 5 months later...

On 5/11/2020 at 5:13 AM, ConchZ said:

Does anyone know where I can get a new set of downpipes for the stock 1973 manifold?  Do I have to get them custom made?  Has anyone done that, and what did it cost?  

If I can't get new downpipes for a reasonable cost, my only options are:

1)  Headers, or

2)  Find an older exhaust manifold and use the MSA exhaust kit (MSA doesn't make it for 1973 manifold).

Any other ideas?  Thanks!

If you can find a good one, the earlier 240Z manifolds are less bulky, lighter. You can then use an aftermarket head pipe, or build your own.  

Building your own is easy. Make a flange from 3/8” flatbar, and go up a bit in diameter for the primary pipes, I used 1.75". Install the manifold on the car, and the head pipe, take it to an exhaust shop and have them make up the pipes for you. I told the guy to bend them only, and welded it up myself, on a fixture I made, and ground the mating surface flat when I was done. It should be cheaper than the MSA pipes, and flow better too with the larger primary pipes.

Edited by Racer X

• 3 months later...
On 10/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, Racer X said:

If you can find a good one, the earlier 240Z manifolds are less bulky, lighter. You can then use an aftermarket head pipe, or build your own.  

Building your own is easy. Make a flange from 3/8” flatbar, and go up a bit in diameter for the primary pipes, I used 1.75". Install the manifold on the car, and the head pipe, take it to an exhaust shop and have them make up the pipes for you. I told the guy to bend them only, and welded it up myself, on a fixture I made, and ground the mating surface flat when I was done. It should be cheaper than the MSA pipes, and flow better too with the larger primary pipes.

That's a good idea.  Still on the fence, but need to do something before driving season starts.  Too cold and snowy here in the winter.

• Like 1