IGNORED

Meanwhile, a Z432R sells for $805k in Japan

Mike

58 minutes ago, zspert said:

I found it funny that those $%^& door jamb bumpers were missing!!

'Superleggera'. ?

In fact there were many details 'wrong' - especially interior-wise - on this car. It's a little risky to try to pin down a single factory spec for the roadgoing 432-Rs, but they certainly didn't have exposed 918 Grand Prix Orange paint visible in their interiors - apart from the rear deck area - as they were all satin black. It was a little jarring to see freshly painted body colour in the forward section of the interior in this car, and where the missing diamond-pattern vinyl would have been.

Many other examples of late 'personalisation' evident on the car too: Brake booster, KS 'Rally Mag' replica wheels, trumpet mesh covers, half-painted rear spoiler, Schroth harnesses etc.  I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but some of these things are itches I'd want to scratch...  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Mike,

Whilst I appreciate your effort to create your new 'JDM' section, I reckon you're about 20 years too late. classiczcars.com had been discussing these cars as part of the S30-Series pretty much since you founded the forum, and the content is (I think pretty much inextricably) woven into the tapestry of our historical forum thread content.

I can't see how that Japanese market-specific content can be isolated, extracted and given a new home without losing its original context? And what will happen to the conversations from which is has been extracted? Will they too lose their context? I'm not sure I understand.

Yes, you are correct that I should have done this from day one.  However, due to my limited knowledge of the Japan market when we first started (and my young inexperienced self), it wasn't really pondered until now.  I attribute this change to a recent visit to Japan, having the honor to meet Kats, and a short drive in his 432.  I fell in love with the car and became wildly fascinated about it.  Also considering my total lack of understanding about the R-series (see above), I decided to make this addition to the club.

While I agree that most of the 432 discussions are mixed throughout the site into other threads, I still think we could use some dedicated space for the car.  Here's what I am planning:

1. Create a new forum category for the Japanese market cars -- both 432 and regular market cars.
  2. Find specific forum threads about the 432 & 432-R, and move the entire thread into this new area.
  3. Find images about the car, and post links to the new area.  I believe you also have some.

Existing threads that have a 'blend' of both standard S30 (or US market S30) content with 432 content will NOT be pulled apart.  I do not believe in taking apart conversations.  However, if the content is focused on the 432, I would like to move the whole thread into the new area.  Regarding the Kats thread, I agree it has been wildly popular.  Finding the thread was a bit more difficult because it was buried.

The idea behind this change is to allow people to research based on their specific interest in the Japanese market.  Before this change, it was rather difficult to find information without hours of searching and reading.  This may help put a focus on the area -- very similar to the Scarab, 240k, roadster, and other areas.  Please let me know your thoughts.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike , thanks for your work , I hope people will keep enjoying about Fairlady Z series more and more . 

Alan , thanks for about your kind word for my thread “ Datsun-240Z VS Fairlady-Z432 “ , this thread has been active since 2007 I thank you everyone here for joining it . 

About the Z432-R , I agree , some pieces must be replaced to the correct parts. Besides that , this car pulled that much money from the buyer . I think the key could be a posture . This time this car looked more correct in “ height “ than it was used to be . 

We feel uneasy when we see the car sits too low , or wears different wheels , those things make us wonder if the car has been modified heavily or , not been taken care of properly in its life .

Someone would have noticed the head light cover  is a later type , but I think this could be happened for the car as made in 1970 but sold in 1972 . It is a well known rumor “ clearance sale “ of Nissan . Nissan Works team moved to L24 instead of S20 , then Nissan sold remaining Z432-Rs to the public with a bargain price.  Mr. Kubo  (a legendary engine tuner ) said he was offered a Z432-R way cheaper than a standard Fairlady Z ( S30S) . 

I have never seen a Z432-R which was made after Feb 1971 . Maybe nobody has seen except Alan ! 
Nissan was preparing for it ( we see the newer parts numbers in the catalog )but politics changed ,so I think they just discontinued making 1971 and later Z432-R . 

Kats

• Like 1