IGNORED

Meanwhile, a Z432R sells for $805k in Japan

Mike

As everyone was watching (what we thought to be) a record breaking classic Z record on BAT, a much more impressive number was made in Japan.  Best Heritage Japan's Tokyo Terrada auction, a 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z432 sold for 88,550,000 yen (or $805,000 USD).

Between these two recent sales, the books are now under review as records are being broken.

Images courtesy of Hagerty.com, full article can be found here:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2020/01/14/430000-nissan-skyline-and-805000-fairlady-sales-historic-record-breakers#

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(00).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(01).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(07).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(02).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(10).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(03).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(04).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(05).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(06).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(08).jpg

Auction_1970_Nissan_Fairlady_Z432R(09).jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike said:

A Best Heritage Japan's Tokyo Terrada auction, a 1970 Nissan Fairlady Z432 sold for 88,550,000 yen (or $805,000 USD).

Specifically, a PS30-SB Nissan Fairlady Z432-R

I've seen some people being confused between the 432 and 432-R. It's worth being vigilant about the distinction.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Specifically, a PS30-SB Nissan Fairlady Z432-R

I've seen some people being confused between the 432 and 432-R. It's worth being vigilant about the distinction.

Is the one listed above one of the "R" models?  Confused because the badging doesn't show it.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Is the one listed above one of the "R" models?  Confused because the badging doesn't show it.

Yes. As per the title you gave the thread: "Meanwhile, a Z432R sells for $805k in Japan"

There's a big, big difference in content, rarity and value between a 432 and a 432-R, so I think it worth making it clear all the way through when writing about them, lest people get the wrong end of the stick. I've already seen it happening.

Edited to add: There was no model variant-specific 432-R badging. It was badged the same as the 432 model.

Edited by HS30-H
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Edited to add: There was no model variant-specific 432-R badging. It was badged the same as the 432 model.

Ah, got it.  Thanks, the original article referenced the 'R' designation, but, I didn't see any badging on the car to reflect it.  Kinda strange they didn't create unique badging if you ask me..  

I a bit surprised this went for so much money. 

It's been modified quite a bit -- looks like a minimalist race interior.  I'm not a big fan of the dashboard block-off plates, missing center console and most of the interior vinyl.  The relocation for the ignition key is also very strange and there are no identification plates on the car. 

I don't know much about the Japanese versions.  Were all of these modifications part of the R series or is this a historical racer of some kind?  Would love to know more.

I was fortunate enough to drive @kats's Z432 and his was much more complete.  But, I don't know if his blue car is a series R.

Mike

Mike the Z432R is a stripped lightweight version of the Z432. Essentially done to homologate the PS30-SB model for domestic racing; the 432-R was homologated as an 'evolution' of the 432 in JAF's 'Prototype' class ( with a minimum requirement of 25 identical cars manufactured ). Also had lighter thinner gauge body panels, fiberglass bonnet as well as the deletion of most interior trim and perspex windows on the side and rear. 25 to 30 built but no definitive number released to confirm. Nissan engineer Uemura mentions it in his book as the Race Specification Model (PS30-SB). The chassis number is in the same range as the Z432.

post-3193-14150822437543.jpg

Edited by SpeedRoo

Thanks guys.  I haven't followed many of the Type R discussions in the past.  This has pegged my curiosity so I will be creating a forum for the Z432 specifically.  I did find an older post from 2013 here:  

I'm looking to find the gallery link again as that older link is broken.  But, the Z432 needs its own forum where we can hold these kind of discussions.

Mike

I started looking through the history of posts we have about the Z432 & Z432-R and think we've missed out on categorizing this properly.  Many of these conversations are spread throughout the site into different forums.  As a result, I have created a new forum for the Z432 and moved the Japanese market stuff to its own category.  I'm going to start moving the 432 stuff into this new forum now.

As I look at some of the projects you guys have worked on, it's apparent I still need more education on this spectacular version of the Z.  So, this will be a lot of fun!  ?

Here's a link to the new area:  https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/forum/152-jdm/

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike said:

I started looking through the history of posts we have about the Z432 & Z432-R and think we've missed out on categorizing this properly.  Many of these conversations are spread throughout the site into different forums.  As a result, I have created a new forum for the Z432 and moved the Japanese market stuff to its own category.  I'm going to start moving the 432 stuff into this new forum now.

As I look at some of the projects you guys have worked on, it's apparent I still need more education on this spectacular version of the Z. 

Mike,

Whilst I appreciate your effort to create your new 'JDM' section, I reckon you're about 20 years too late. classiczcars.com had been discussing these cars as part of the S30-Series pretty much since you founded the forum, and the content is (I think pretty much inextricably) woven into the tapestry of our historical forum thread content.

I can't see how that Japanese market-specific content can be isolated, extracted and given a new home without losing its original context? And what will happen to the conversations from which is has been extracted? Will they too lose their context? I'm not sure I understand.

For example, Kats' thread:

...has been running since 2007, is ever-popular, always interesting and - I think I'm correct - one of the most popular threads on this forum in terms of hits, comments and member participation. This thread alone has brought much to the conversation here and has informed and educated in the process. That education works both ways, as I believe much has been learned about both the 'Datsun 240Z' and the 'Fairlady Z432' models and other variants. But how do you distill the 'JDM' content from that?

• Like 2