Bad alternator problems - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Bad alternator problems

Featured Replies

Hey all,

Running into some issues with what I think is the alternator on my 71 Z. I got my battery tested to find that it's not the culprit. Before starting the battery voltage is around 12.82 V and when the car is idling the voltage is at 12.11 V. The car idles lower than I'd like (500 rpm) and thats at full choke. Battery is drained a fair amount after running it too. I haven't checked the spark plugs yet, but I think I'm gonna check them once the car cools down, but I'm fairly certain it's the alternator. Is there anything else I should check before ruling it out to be it? The belt on it is tight and the voltage does go up a little (12.35 V) when I give it some gas, but I thought the voltage was supposed to jump up over 12V if the alternator was working. And is it possible that a faulty alternator would cause the car to idle lower (not enough spark?)

Any help/ideas appreciated! ☺️

Yes it should be at about 14v if the alternator is working.
If the alternator is related to the low idle it might be that the alternator is putting a lot of load on the engine. Try disconnecting the belt and see how hard it is to turn the alternator by hand.

  • Author

A quick update. I had the car idling and had a buddy take off the positive lead on the battery for a second and put it back on. Immediately after putting the terminal back on, the idle speed started going way higher (started 500rpm at full choke, went up to 1100-1200) before it went back down shortly after. It could be possible that it's the voltage regulator. @jonbill I think I'll give that a try next, thanks!

There's a pretty extensive test procedure for the alt and the regulator in the FSM.  They even show how to adjust the regulator.  Old school stuff.

  • Author

@Zed Head I'll give it a read tonight. I've been neglecting the FSM so much, reminds me of a school textbook ?

If I make any headway I'll post here.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Be careful about disconnecting an alternator while the engine is running. You can damage components on some vehicles this way

  • Author

@Patcon Yeah that may have been a risky deal. I think I'll not do that again. 

I looked into it more and I think I may go the route of the 280zx alternator conversion. Seems easy enough and will be a catch all with a lot of the electrical unknowns and probably future proof me as I wanted to hook up some more modern interior electrical bits. I'm going with the kit on zcarstore so I don't need to cut or solder any of the original wiring harness so it'll be able to switch back if someone wants it original. 

Once all the parts arrive and I slap them on I'll report back anything new.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.