IGNORED

Smog questions for header replacement

jtay

So I have taken off the old header and it weighed quite a bit.  I was a bit surprised.  So the new header does not have connections for smog and also does not have the connection for the air filter.  Do I take off the air pump and all the other misc equipment since I can't use it anymore?  Pics below.IMG_4403.jpegIMG_4399.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

So most of us in states that don’t require the smog equipment to be intact have removed the them. If you do box them up and save them. Doesn’t your air cleaner bolt to the carbs?

looks like you are working on a 72 with the stock motor. I don’t recognize the brand header you have but I am sure someone here has already made this change. What are you planning for the rest of the exhaust system?

plus we love photos of cars here and their stories

Welcome aboard

Don

Jess,

The air filter attaches to the SU's and the heat shield attaches to the intake manifold, so no loss of functionality there.  In removing the stock exhaust manifold you lose the air pump manifold and the heat riser attach point.  The rest of your smog equipment is all around the balance tube and carb linkage, it can be left in place or removed as you choose. There is no functional connection between the air pump and the rest of the smog pieces around the carbs.

Jim

72 240Z with SUs question.  Look at pic and let me know if I can throw away part 1.  Does anyone have a good way to cap off 2?  Afraid it will screw up expected airflow. Thanks!

IMG_4403.jpeg

Edited by jtay

I got rid of mine and contemplated putting a rubber cap over the hole in the air filter. After reading the consensus of our members here I/we decided it best to leave it open.

More air flow and an outlet for any varmints or their food storage. That was a big problem for me, squirrels storing acorns. First I called the game wardens and ask about seasons to shoot, license and what not then after their "go for it" answers I bought a 1200 flb air rifle. Problem solved.

There is a simple metal piece that fits between the middle runners of the header if you want to keep the heat riser.

The heat riser mount (#3), flex tube and hose clamps (#1) are important to restorers.  I'll be glad to buy them from you - I refurbish and sell parts.  Having the snorkel open at point #1 is not a problem for airflow but you could cap it if aesthetics are an issue.  I recommend you not cut this section off the snorkel as it can create an appearance issue.