IGNORED

Spring for Fuse door

JLPurcell

Hi Jerry , is this what you are talking about ? 
I pulled this spring from my 1972 Orange 240Z and Fairlady 240ZG . Both fuse door lost one pin to be pushed in . The cause of cracking pin on the console side is too much high tension of this spring . 
I can say 90 % of them are broken . I had to repair ( actually I made ) a new pin to match the hole of the fuse door , but I gave up installing this spring because I didn’t want to break the pin once again . 

So I hope someone will make a replica of this spring with a lot lowered tension. 

Kats

C8A51AC0-8A66-44AD-9FBD-F6AE97961A5F.jpeg

99BAB8EE-A435-4ADF-9B13-2521C1F380BC.jpeg

3F8904FD-0D7C-4165-8E25-D5E6231CD783.jpeg

The diameters for the wire and the drill bit were based on my sometimes flawed memory.  You may need to experiment a bit (wire and old drill bits are cheap). 

I'll try to post a photo of my restored ashtray later today.  It had broken in the usual way -- the plastic boss for one of the door hinge pins had failed (perhaps due to the over-aggressive spring tension mentioned in this thread).  I rebuilt that area using scrap plastic and JB Weld.  After completing the repair, the OE spring looked to me like it was going to overload the area.  That's what made me decide to make a low-tension replacement.

• Like 1

I decided to create a separate, new Topic to better explain the repairs that I did for my 70 Z's ashtray.  It's posted (with a few pictures) in the 'Interior' section.  More, and more accurate, details about what I did.

Edited by Namerow
correction
  • Like 2