IGNORED

AFM Boot?

moozieman

I'm sure many of you Z owners are familiar with the dry-rotted rubber on the afm boot which can create a huge vacuum leak. I'd like to get a new boot, but some are over $100. Are there any alternatives out there? Maybe one from another vehicle that fits? Or do I just need to bite the bullet? Haha. Thanks!

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

I bet you could make a cheap and dirty version of that ring from a thick piece of rubber to take up the gap. Or buy a silicone tube with the right ID and OD and cut a sliver donut off it. It's not structural, you just need to fill up the gap.

good call. I'll look into it!

11 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I bet you could make a cheap and dirty version of that ring from a thick piece of rubber to take up the gap. Or buy a silicone tube with the right ID and OD and cut a sliver donut off it. It's not structural, you just need to fill up the gap.

I might end up making use of a 3" to 2.75" exhaust coupler. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

doesnt there need to be a small port for the other hose that connects to the middle of the boot?

6 minutes ago, moozieman said:

doesnt there need to be a small port for the other hose that connects to the middle of the boot?

That's for the Auxiliary Air Regulator for cold start up.  Feeds it more air to raise the rpms.  I deleted mine so it's not an issue.  It's not too cold down here especially in my garage.  Whatever year you have if you plan to keep it I'd reroute the hoses like the '78s.  They don't use greasy air from the valve cover.

Here's a '78.  zcardepot.com has them for $70.

https://zcardepot.com/products/air-intake-maf-afm-hose-oem-280z-280zx?variant=19277905297521&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2YeUnYzy5gIVipyzCh2h7QeVEAQYASABEgLuffD_BwE

78 hoses.png

5 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That's for the Auxiliary Air Regulator for cold start up.  Feeds it more air to raise the rpms.  I deleted mine so it's not an issue.  It's not too cold down here especially in my garage.  Whatever year you have if you plan to keep it I'd reroute the hoses like the '78s.  They don't use greasy air from the valve cover.

Here's a '78.  zcardepot.com has them for $70.

https://zcardepot.com/products/air-intake-maf-afm-hose-oem-280z-280zx?variant=19277905297521&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2YeUnYzy5gIVipyzCh2h7QeVEAQYASABEgLuffD_BwE

78 hoses.png

Ok. If its not 100% necessary, I might just get rid of it. How would I re-route that hose?

4 minutes ago, moozieman said:

Ok. If its not 100% necessary, I might just get rid of it. How would I re-route that hose?

Living in Ohio you might need it.

If it's a '78 you should be good unless a previous owner rerouted them somehow.  My '77 came off the valve cover and crudded up the throttle body.