Datsun7

Rota RB Help!!!

    Recommended Posts

    First off.... Happy Holidays to all!! I just purchased some ROTA RB's for my 1977 280z. I need some guidance..... It appears as though the stock lug nuts will not work as the lug holes of the new ROTA rims are too narrow to tighten. Any suggestions for lugs? Also, the rims are 15x7. Will a 215/60/15 tire fit without issue? Thanks much in advance! Jeff

    IMG_373ii2.jpg

    rb_1.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for the response! Are you able to get a socket in with these or does it come with something narrow on these conical lug nuts? What size tires are you running on your RBs? Thanks again! Jeff

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    2 hours ago, Datsun7 said:

    Thanks for the response! Are you able to get a socket in with these or does it come with something narrow on these conical lug nuts? What size tires are you running on your RBs? Thanks again! Jeff

    Hi Jeff, I haven't had any problems getting a socket in, I believe it's a 19mm but it's been a while since I've taken the wheels off. I typically use sockets with protectors on them in any case. I'm running 15X8 Watanabes (ET0) with 225/50-15 tires without issue although my fender lips and valence are trimmed. Camber is -3° front/-2.3° rear.

    image.thumb.png.f29979d8e7a89b9ae6a733ce6854f1c7.png

    image.thumb.png.c76a7890143c50cd89e6740031d47587.png

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, LeonV said:

    Hi Jeff, I haven't had any problems getting a socket in, I believe it's a 19mm but it's been a while since I've taken the wheels off. I typically use sockets with protectors on them in any case. I'm running 15X8 Watanabes (ET0) with 225/50-15 tires without issue although my fender lips and valence are trimmed. Camber is -3° front/-2.3° rear.

    image.thumb.png.f29979d8e7a89b9ae6a733ce6854f1c7.png

    image.thumb.png.c76a7890143c50cd89e6740031d47587.png

    That looks really good!!! I love the Euro tail lights! What are you running for lowering? Coil overs, Eibachs...?

    That's for the camber numbers too.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    AGREED! Wow, your car is beautiful! Great stance too! Is that a 260? Love it! My old 73 240 was a similar color.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, Patcon said:

    That looks really good!!! I love the Euro tail lights! What are you running for lowering? Coil overs, Eibachs...?

    That's for the camber numbers too.

    Thanks! It's on sectioned struts with Bilstein inserts and height adjustable coilovers. Camber adjustment is via bolt-in DP Racing camber plates, they've only got 4 discrete positions but they're well thought-out and compact. Plus, zero mods required on the body and I can still go +/- from the current settings. Don was great to work with as far as ensuring fit with the Bilsteins.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Datsun7 said:

    AGREED! Wow, your car is beautiful! Great stance too! Is that a 260? Love it! My old 73 240 was a similar color.

    Thanks, appreciate it! It's an early 260, correct. The color is allegedly a Jaguar BRG but was originally "baby poo yellow", as described by the previous owner. 

    Didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. I don't have direct experience with a 215/60-15 tire on a Z but with that said, the main area I'd be concerned about is rubbing on the front valence during steering, especially when going in reverse. Also, there aren't any real sporting tires in that size that I can find besides maybe the very overpriced Pirelli. I'd consider a 205/55-15 instead based on tire selection although the 215/60 will look better if you're keeping stock ride height.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    6 hours ago, LeonV said:

    Thanks! It's on sectioned struts with Bilstein inserts and height adjustable coilovers. Camber adjustment is via bolt-in DP Racing camber plates, they've only got 4 discrete positions but they're well thought-out and compact. Plus, zero mods required on the body and I can still go +/- from the current settings. Don was great to work with as far as ensuring fit with the Bilsteins.

    I wonder if the 225's will clear the stock strut? I am pretty sure I ran 225's in high school but they were Eagle GT's and do not have a real square cross section. They did scrub some if there was a lot of suspension travel

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Patcon said:

    I wonder if the 225's will clear the stock strut? I am pretty sure I ran 225's in high school but they were Eagle GT's and do not have a real square cross section. They did scrub some if there was a lot of suspension travel

    I've run 225's on stock struts previously, they'll clear fine with the right offset. I ran 225/50-16 on my previous Z on 16x7 ET6 Panasports without rubbing on stock fender arches, although the front valence was aftermarket.

     

    3 hours ago, S30Driver said:

    FWIW I have a set of Rota RB's on my 77, with a set of McGard lug nuts.  One is locking on each wheel.  Very high quality.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HOVJI?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=9R1Q7RP1KCPKPJHGNDT4

    image.png

    FWIW, I have a personal preference against locking lug nuts. Anyone with a common wheel lock removal tool can still get them off and for the 99.999% of the time that my wheels aren't being stolen, a special tool is needed to remove them for service. Wheel locks are also typically not impact gun friendly. My Z is parked in the garage and I don't typically leave it in places where there's a good chance it'll be put up on blocks. Insurance will take care of things out of my control. Everyone's situation is different, just providing a perspective.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    So if the 225 will fit on stock suspension width wise... the 215 should be no issue correct?  My rims are 4mm offset but I have spacers to get it to a zero offset if needed. I am at stock ride height as well so I am hoping the 60s will be fine as well.  The picture below is what I am goin for look wise.

    DatsunZ0021.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    S30Driver.... what size are your RBs? What size tires are you running?  I like the McGard kit as well..... the holes on the lug holes on the ROta rims are only about 1 inch opening.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I run the Rota RB's Gunmetal w/polished lip 15X7 +4 offset. I used the Gorilla small diameter black chrome lugs. Can't speak to the 215/60 R15 tires, I run 205/60 R15 tires which are almost identical tire height as stock so my speedo is pretty accurate and no tire scrub at all.

    Lugs.jpgcar.JPG

    IMG_20170709_111608.jpg

     

    Edited by w3wilkes
    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    46 minutes ago, Datsun7 said:

    S30Driver.... what size are your RBs? What size tires are you running?  I like the McGard kit as well..... the holes on the lug holes on the ROta rims are only about 1 inch opening.

    My RB's are 16x7 with Dunlop ultra high performance 205 55 16's   Perfect fitment, no spacers, close to stock original wheel diameter for speedo accuracy.

    The McGard's won't rust, have a lifetime warranty, and the current amazon price is a extremely good deal.  I never use impact tools on the lugs & never will.  Just torque them to about 85ft lbs.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Datsun7 said:

    Beautiful Car!  71?  Wheels look great! Are you at stock ride height?  Looks lowered a bit... Very nice!

    Yes, early 71. Stock ride height, not lowered.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now