IGNORED

Rota RB Help!!!

Datsun7

First off.... Happy Holidays to all!! I just purchased some ROTA RB's for my 1977 280z. I need some guidance..... It appears as though the stock lug nuts will not work as the lug holes of the new ROTA rims are too narrow to tighten. Any suggestions for lugs? Also, the rims are 15x7. Will a 215/60/15 tire fit without issue? Thanks much in advance! Jeff

IMG_373ii2.jpg

rb_1.jpg

2 hours ago, Datsun7 said:

Thanks for the response! Are you able to get a socket in with these or does it come with something narrow on these conical lug nuts? What size tires are you running on your RBs? Thanks again! Jeff

Hi Jeff, I haven't had any problems getting a socket in, I believe it's a 19mm but it's been a while since I've taken the wheels off. I typically use sockets with protectors on them in any case. I'm running 15X8 Watanabes (ET0) with 225/50-15 tires without issue although my fender lips and valence are trimmed. Camber is -3° front/-2.3° rear.

image.thumb.png.f29979d8e7a89b9ae6a733ce6854f1c7.png

image.thumb.png.c76a7890143c50cd89e6740031d47587.png

1 hour ago, LeonV said:

Hi Jeff, I haven't had any problems getting a socket in, I believe it's a 19mm but it's been a while since I've taken the wheels off. I typically use sockets with protectors on them in any case. I'm running 15X8 Watanabes (ET0) with 225/50-15 tires without issue although my fender lips and valence are trimmed. Camber is -3° front/-2.3° rear.

image.thumb.png.f29979d8e7a89b9ae6a733ce6854f1c7.png

image.thumb.png.c76a7890143c50cd89e6740031d47587.png

That looks really good!!! I love the Euro tail lights! What are you running for lowering? Coil overs, Eibachs...?

That's for the camber numbers too.

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

That looks really good!!! I love the Euro tail lights! What are you running for lowering? Coil overs, Eibachs...?

That's for the camber numbers too.

Thanks! It's on sectioned struts with Bilstein inserts and height adjustable coilovers. Camber adjustment is via bolt-in DP Racing camber plates, they've only got 4 discrete positions but they're well thought-out and compact. Plus, zero mods required on the body and I can still go +/- from the current settings. Don was great to work with as far as ensuring fit with the Bilsteins.

1 hour ago, Datsun7 said:

AGREED! Wow, your car is beautiful! Great stance too! Is that a 260? Love it! My old 73 240 was a similar color.

Thanks, appreciate it! It's an early 260, correct. The color is allegedly a Jaguar BRG but was originally "baby poo yellow", as described by the previous owner. 

Didn't mean to sidetrack your thread. I don't have direct experience with a 215/60-15 tire on a Z but with that said, the main area I'd be concerned about is rubbing on the front valence during steering, especially when going in reverse. Also, there aren't any real sporting tires in that size that I can find besides maybe the very overpriced Pirelli. I'd consider a 205/55-15 instead based on tire selection although the 215/60 will look better if you're keeping stock ride height.

6 hours ago, LeonV said:

Thanks! It's on sectioned struts with Bilstein inserts and height adjustable coilovers. Camber adjustment is via bolt-in DP Racing camber plates, they've only got 4 discrete positions but they're well thought-out and compact. Plus, zero mods required on the body and I can still go +/- from the current settings. Don was great to work with as far as ensuring fit with the Bilsteins.

I wonder if the 225's will clear the stock strut? I am pretty sure I ran 225's in high school but they were Eagle GT's and do not have a real square cross section. They did scrub some if there was a lot of suspension travel

4 hours ago, Patcon said:

I wonder if the 225's will clear the stock strut? I am pretty sure I ran 225's in high school but they were Eagle GT's and do not have a real square cross section. They did scrub some if there was a lot of suspension travel

I've run 225's on stock struts previously, they'll clear fine with the right offset. I ran 225/50-16 on my previous Z on 16x7 ET6 Panasports without rubbing on stock fender arches, although the front valence was aftermarket.

3 hours ago, S30Driver said:

FWIW I have a set of Rota RB's on my 77, with a set of McGard lug nuts.  One is locking on each wheel.  Very high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HOVJI?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=9R1Q7RP1KCPKPJHGNDT4

image.png

FWIW, I have a personal preference against locking lug nuts. Anyone with a common wheel lock removal tool can still get them off and for the 99.999% of the time that my wheels aren't being stolen, a special tool is needed to remove them for service. Wheel locks are also typically not impact gun friendly. My Z is parked in the garage and I don't typically leave it in places where there's a good chance it'll be put up on blocks. Insurance will take care of things out of my control. Everyone's situation is different, just providing a perspective.

So if the 225 will fit on stock suspension width wise... the 215 should be no issue correct?  My rims are 4mm offset but I have spacers to get it to a zero offset if needed. I am at stock ride height as well so I am hoping the 60s will be fine as well.  The picture below is what I am goin for look wise.

DatsunZ0021.jpg