IGNORED

HTP Quick Spot II spot welder - quick review

inline6

The numbers are probably accurate but, as CO has pointed out, may be difficult to apply real-world results. Perhaps we should get back to your experiences with your equipment.  We can draw conclusions (possibly wrong :cool:) afterwards about how they relate to the specs. The choice between spot-welding vs. MIG stitch-welding seems a really under-discussed part of the hobby-restoration process.

Edited by Namerow

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 10:13 PM, inline6 said:

Another reason I'd like to understand this better is so I could compare this unit to this one, for example:

https://www.harborfreight.com/240v-spot-welder-61206.html

So, $160 vs. $649...  And the cheap one has 2.5 kVA in the specs.  Not sure any of the labels are going to be trustworthy?  

Is inverter technology anything to warrant discussing?

You already bought the $649 machine, right? You're just looking to see if you can commend yourself on a worthwhile purchase, or need to kick yourself in the butt for buying an the expensive one when you could have bought one for a quarter the price that does the same thing?

Well for making that decision, here's some fodder... The only thing fuzzy about that HF welder is the quality, and there's no invertor technology employed there. That HF welder is the big asss heavy lump of copper transformer that we talked about above. Works OK, but doesn't come with any of the adjustability that yours does. In fact, the only thing adjustable about that HF welder is weld pressure and the amount of time the power is applied (because you can let off the handle any time you want to).

So it kinda all depends on what you're looking for... That HF welder is old bulletproof technology, but the results will be only as good as the guy using it. Your machine is programmable so you can get dependable consistent results from one weld to another even if you have no idea what you're doing.

From what I've seen, in the small amount of poking around I've done for this thread, Telwin has a good reputation, and that spot welder seems to be well a respected portable unit. Not sure the same sentiment exists for the HF offering.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

You already bought the $649 machine, right? You're just looking to see if you can commend yourself on a worthwhile purchase, or need to kick yourself in the butt for buying an the expensive one when you could have bought one for a quarter the price that does the same thing?

Yes, though I got $300 off on the package price (I bought a Tig welder also).  And pretty much nailed it on that other part...  Seesawed with buyer's remorse a little bit based on the posts in this thread, but learned a bit more and can take the info here and learn further if I want, which is great.  I think it will suit my needs well, but I am interested to see how it does with thicker material.  I will add some more tests here before too long.  

Thanks for the information - everyone.